Winter Fun Directional Sign
Whether you're looking for sleigh parking or The North Pole, this Winter Fun Directional Sign will help you get to where you need to go! This fun winter decoration can hold up to 5 locations, and is a fun project to work on with the kids. Brainstorm fun places you'd like to have on your sign, and customize them to suit your family. Making this fun decoration all together is a great way to spend a blustery snowy afternoon...and it will help Santa on his route to deliver gifts on Christmas Eve!
- White Foam Board: 20" x 30" x 3/16"
- White Foam Board: 20" x 30" x 1/2"
- Repositionable Borders, Holographic Red, Blue and Silver
- Metallic Markers
- CraftBond® Extra Strength Glue Stick
- CraftBond® Foam Mounting Tape
- X-ACTO® CraftTOOLS™ Retractable #1 Craft Knife
- X-ACTO® CraftTOOLS™ 12" Metal Ruler
- X-ACTO® 24" x 36" Self Healing Cutting Mat
- Silver spray paint
- PVC pipe or heavy duty shipping tube: 50" lengths of 2" diameter
- Empty soup can (cleaned and label removed)
- White copy paper
- Hand saw (optional)
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Large cardboard box (for spraying)
- Old newspapers
- Ask hardware store, or use handsaw, to cut PVC pipe into 50" length. For base, use pencil, X-ACTO® CraftTOOLS™ 12" Metal Ruler and X-ACTO® CraftTOOLS™ Retractable #1 Craft Knife on X-ACTO® 24" x 36" Self Healing Cutting Mat to draw and cut 10", 8" and 6" squares of 1/2" thick Elmer's® Foam Board. . (Hint: Score lightly first and then press more firmly to cut deeper, with several passes of the knife. Replace blade often.)
- Find center of 6" square and use pencil to draw around soup can to mark center opening cut cut out opening using Craft Knife on Cutting Mat. (Note: Can will be inserted into finished base and should fit snuggly so cut opening slightly smaller than marked line.)
- Similarly find centers of remaining squares and cut openings.
- Stack squares, openings aligned and glue together with CraftBond® Extra Strength Glue Stick. Insert can into three-layer base. Insert pipe into can. Fill extra space between can and pipe with small scraps of 1/2" thick Foam Board wedged down in. (Check that pipe is straight - perpendicular to floor.) Use glue gun to attach as needed.
- In well-ventilated, newspaper-covered area (inside box), spray pipe and base silver. Let dry.
- For signs, use pencil, Metal Ruler, and Craft Knife on Cutting Mat to draw and cut five 6" x 20" rectangles from 3/16" Foam Board. Leave two as rectangles. Make other three into arrows by drawing lines to trim one end into a point (3" from end), and V-notch other end (3" from end), on each. Use Craft Knife on Cutting Mat to cut along pencil lines.
- Set Project Popperz® Repositionable Borders, Holographic Red, Blue and Silver onto each sign piece as shown in photo. (Note: Connect border pieces, end for end to make one continuous along edges. Trim excess border using Craft Knife.) Use Glue Stick to permanently attach borders to signs.
- Plan sign words and how to write them using pencil on white copy paper, first. Then, copy, lightly drawing letters in pencil on signs, using Metal Ruler along bottom for words that are intended to be straight. Trace over letters using Project Popperz® Metallic Markers.
- Use 6" length CraftBond® Foam Mounting Tape, run vertically, on center back of each sign to attach to PVC pipe as shown in photo. (Note: Slightly turn arrow signs by attaching them to right and left of front of pole. Be sure they are close enough to front to still be read from front.)
You can find this project-and many more-in our new free eBook, 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Ideas.
Read NextAdorable Snowman Sock Craft
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use