Vintage Burlap Fringed Flower
All out of fresh fabric craft ideas? Make a Vintage Burlap Fringed Flower from Tiffany Windsor using a classic Aleene technique! This no-sew project uses glue, burlap and other easy-to-find materials that can be purchased at your local craft store.
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue Tacky Pack
- Cardboard squeegee
- 18 gauge stem wire – green
- Large button with shank
- Florist tape – green
- For full-size flower, cut a piece of burlap 6″ x 18″. For small flower or bud, cut burlap to 6″ x 5″. Apply Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue along both long edges of burlap.
- Use a cardboard squeegee (or your fingers) to spread the glue smoothly along the edges. Let dry completely until glue is clear.
- Starting in the center, pull out one long burlap thread. Continue pulling out threads one by one.
- When all the center threads are pulled out up to the glue line, your burlap piece should look like this.
- Apply Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue along one edge.
- Spread glue smooth with fingers (or squeegee).
- Fold in half to match glued edges. Press edges together until glue holds and set aside for next step.
- To prepare flower center, fold wire approximately 2″ from end and loop into button shank.
- Wrap florist wire around wire and cover entire stem.
- Apply Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue along straight edge of burlap.
- Press edge of burlap onto stem just below button and begin to roll wire.
- Roll burlap around and around wire keeping loops from catching in glue and keeping edge of burlap straight. Be sure to wrap tightly!
- Apply an extra dab of Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue to end of burlap and press to secure.
- Slightly lift button center and apply Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue to bottom of button.
- Pull snugly into center of flower and arrange burlap fringe. Let glue dry completely. When creating a burlap flower bud, loop the wire but do not use a button for the center. Assemble the flower following the same steps outlined.
For a comprehensive video tutorial of this project, check out Vintage Burlap Fringed Flower.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Vintage Decor"
Create vintage-inspired DIY home decor pieces. If you love old-fashioned decor, then these vintage designs are just for you. Featuring tutorials for every room of your house, these vintage room ideas will help you create that chic vintage.