Shabby Chic Candle Holder
A Shabby Chic Candle Holder might just have the vintage feel you need to pull a room together. This craft is made out of an old spindle, but you could use a new spindle instead. Some woodworking skill are required for this craft, including operating a jig saw and drill. DIY home decor has become a phenomenon lately and allows you to design decorations to your style and taste. This candle holder would make an adorable gift and would even look wonderful as a part of a vintage or shabby chic wedding centerpiece.
Primary TechniqueMixed Media
- Old spindle
- Measuring tape
- Jig saw or miter saw
- Scrap 2-by-4 board
- Hot glue gun
- Drill, 1/16-inch bit and screwdriver bit
- 2-inch wood screw
- Small tart pan
- Cut your spindle the length you desire using a jig saw or miter saw. The exact length will depend on you specific spindle. You will want to include the best decorative turnings on your candle holder. Sand the cut edges.
- Cut a scrap of 2-by-4 into a square using a jig saw or miter saw. A 2-by-4 is actually 3 1/2 inches wide after milling. Cut your scrap 3 1/2 inches long to make it square. Sand the cut edges.
- Lay the 2-by-4 square on your work surface. This is your candle holder's base. Apply hot glue to the center of the base. Center the spindle on the base. Allow the glue to cool.
- Turn the candle holder over with the base at the top. Using a 1/16-inch drill bit, drill a pilot hole down through the center of the base. Switch your bit to a screwdriver bit and attach a 2-inch wood screw through the pilot hole. Sink the head of the screw so that it is flat with the wood. Note: The glue will hold the spindle in place and centered while the screw is attached.
- Turn the candle holder right end up. Apply hot glue to the top. Center the tart pan on top of the spindle. Allow the glue to cool.
- Drill a pilot hole and attach a 1-inch wood screw through the hole.
- Paint the candle holder and tart pan any color you desire. Repeat for complete coverage. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly.
- Lightly sand the surface to give the the candle holder a distressed, shabby chic appearance.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Vintage Decor"
Create vintage-inspired DIY home decor pieces. If you love old-fashioned decor, then these vintage designs are just for you. Featuring tutorials for every room of your house, these vintage room ideas will help you create that chic vintage.
There are no records