Crochet Valentine Shawl
Crochet the perfect Valentine's Day shawl in bright Cherry Red yarn and a lacy cluster stitch design. This easy crochet pattern from Red Heart Yarn makes a beautiful shawl for Valentine's Day or any time of the year. You could even make this crochet shawl pattern in black or white so you have one to wear throughout the year. This shawl works up quickly and is a great project for crocheters who are looking for a bit of a challenge.
Find this pattern and many more in our new eBook, 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts, and More!
Gauge: 3 shells (15 sts) = 4”; 5 rows of shells = 4”.
Size: Shawl measures 24” from neck to bottom.
- Shell: (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) all in same space.
- Shell over shell: shell in the ch-1 space of shell below.
- Cluster: [yarn over and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops] 3 times all in same space, yarn over and draw through 3 loops, yarn over and draw through last 2 loops.
- Ch 17.
- Row 1: Dc in 5th ch from hook (counts as dc, ch 1, dc), * ch 1, dc in next ch; repeat from * to last ch; [ch 1, dc] twice all in last ch; turn – 15 dc.
- Row 2 (Right Side): Ch 3, (counts as dc), * 2 dc in next space, dc in next dc; repeat from * to last space; 2 dc in last space, dc in 3rd ch of ch-4; turn – 43 dc.
- Row 3: Ch 4, dc in first dc, * ch 1, skip next dc, dc in next dc; repeat from * across working last dc in top of ch-3; turn – 23 dc.
- Row 4: Repeat Row 2 – 67 dc.
- Row 5: Ch 4, skip first 2 dc, * dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next dc; repeat from * to last st; dc in top of ch-3; turn – 34 dc.
- Row 6: Ch 3, cluster in first ch-1 space, * ch 1, cluster in next ch-1 space; repeat from * to last st; dc in 3rd ch of ch-4; turn – 33 clusters.
- Row 7: Ch 3 (counts as hdc, ch 1), * [hdc in next ch-1 space, ch 1] twice **, (hdc, ch 1, hdc) all in next ch-1 space, ch 1; repeat from * to last st, end at **; hdc in top of ch-3; turn – 44 hdc.
- Row 8: Ch 3, skip ch-1 space, * shell in next ch-1 space, skip next ch-1 space; repeat from * to last st; dc in 2nd ch of ch-3; turn – 21 shells.
- Row 9: Ch 3, * shell over shell; repeat from * to last st; dc in top of ch-3; turn.
- Rows 10 and 11: Ch 3, * shell over shell **, ch 1; repeat from * to last st, end at **; dc in top of ch-3; turn.
- Rows 12-14: Ch 3, * shell over shell **, ch 2; repeat from * to last st, end at **; dc in top of ch-3; turn.
- Row 15: Ch 1, sc in first dc, * ch 1, skip dc, sc in next dc, ch 1, skip ch-1 space, sc in next dc, ch 1 **, skip dc, sc in ch-2 space; repeat from * to last st, end at **; dc in top of ch-3; turn.
- Row 16: Repeat Row 6 – 63 clusters.
- Row 17: Repeat Row 7 – 84 hdc.
- Rows 18-24: Repeat Rows 8-14 – 41 shells.
- Row 25: Repeat Row 15.
- Row 26: Repeat Row 6 – 123 clusters.
- Row 27: Repeat Row 7 – 164 hdc.
- Rows 28-34: Repeat Rows 8-14 – 81 shells.
- Rnd 1: With right side facing, * sc in next st or space, ch 1, skip next st or space; repeat from * around working (sc, ch 1, sc) all in each corner; join with a slip st in first sc; turn.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, * sc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, skip sc; repeat from * around working (sc, ch 1, sc) all in each corner; join; turn.
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, slip st in first sc, * ch 1, skip sc, slip st loosely in next ch-1 space; repeat from * around. Fasten off.
- Weave in ends.
To make this free crochet pattern, we recommend the following materials. They are all available at a great discount at CutRateCrafts.com!
Read Next40 Valentine Crafts for Adults
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Feb 01, 2017
Lovely crocheted shawl! Always buy an extra skien of yarn this cluster stitch pattern uses alot of it.
Jul 28, 2016
Go to Red Heart and get the instructions. I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a typo typing up the instructions here.
Jul 29, 2016
@spinningamy we have copied this pattern exactly from the Red Heart original. If you do see a discrepancy, please let us know so we can update the pattern. Thanks! -Kaylee, Editor for FaveCrafts.com
May 13, 2016
Love, love this Crochet Valentine Shawl. The pattern is somewhat difficult to understand as the last poster says, I'm hoping I can figure it out and make this beautiful shawl. Thank you for this free pattern.
Mar 03, 2016
I am having difficulty with row 15-7 . I always nd up with more than 84 hdc. If you have 63 clusters with a ch1 between them and crochet 2hdc between you end up with many more than 84. Please Help.
Sep 04, 2013
If there is a knitting pattern for anything similar to the above you would have at least one enthusiastic reader who would love to knit it. A big thank you if you can and if not, I shall keep looking for a similar pattern.
shadyglen94 778265 2
Feb 01, 2013
Karen - Thanks for your comment. I did finally figure out the directions and have the shawl almost done. I found that one has to really study the meaning of the directions. I don't think they are particularly clear. The shawl is turning out well.
Mar 19, 2013
Step 8 is confusing. What is hdc? and why not explain in the stitches section. I have 33 hdc (hdc? half double crochet?)
Jul 28, 2016
hdc - Half Double Crochet us standard term, Yarn over, pull up loop in stitch indicated, yarn over, pull through all loops on hook. Hdc made.
Jan 27, 2013
Row 7. got me at first too. "[hdc in next ch-1 space, ch 1] twice". It means do the hdc-ch1 in each of the next two ch sps. You have the beginning ch3, ch1, hdc in next ch1 sp, ch 1, hdc in next ch1 sp, ch1, hdc-ch1-hdc together in next ch 1 sp., and repeat. The hdc-ch1-hdc all in the same ch1 sp is every third stitch. the sequence stops with the last ch1 and the last stitch is a hdc in the top of the turning. chain. Hope this helps 'cause this is not an official reply. cheers!
shadyglen94 778265 2
Jan 19, 2013
I'm stuck at Row 7 (#8) I ended up with way more than 44 hdc. The repeats are very unclear. It's such a lovely shawl - I really want to finish it.
shadyglen94 778265 2
Jan 19, 2013
I never received a reply to my problem, My problem was posted, but where is the answer? br I'm stuck at Row 7 (8) the repeats are very unclear and I am ending up with way more than 44 hdc. I see there was another person with the same problem - but where is the answer?
katiehughes1 37251 67
Jan 12, 2013
I am stuck aat#7 (row 8) * [ ]twice** does that mean that I repeat what is in brackets 2 times? ........I keep getting more than 44 hdc. Could you break ea process down & e-mail. It is a beautiful shawl & I cant't wait to finish.
Dec 04, 2012
I love this pattern. Not only would it be great for Valentine's Day, but it would be a great accessory to wear in the fall or for a Christmas party!
Jan 26, 2012
why can i not translate your side from english to danish?
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use