DIY Painted Jugs and Spring Flowers
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Give a new life to old milk jugs with this DIY Painted Jugs and Spring Flowers project. This is a fun and colorful way to get your home ready for spring, and this centerpiece is sure to make a lovely presentation for your Easter brunch table. No matter how skilled you are in crafting, you're sure to find this project easy and fun to make. If you don't have milk jugs on hand, you can achieve the same effect with clear wine bottles, beer bottles, or glass vases.
Primary TechniqueGeneral Crafts
- Little B Pull Flowers
- Smoothfoam Balls from DOW STYROFOAM
- etchall dip'n etch
- Glass Milk Bottles
- Lo-temp Glue Gun
- Flower Soft Sprinkles
- Crafts Picks
- White Glue
- Green Straws
Prepare the glass bottles following instructions on the container of dip'n etch. Pour the etching liquid into one bottle. Let sit for 15 minutes, then pour the liquid from the first bottle into the second one. After 15 minutes pour the liquid from the 2nd bottle into the 3rd. Let sit for 15 minutes then return the liquid to the container. This product is REUSABLE, so you can etch a lot of glass with it.
Rinse each bottle thoroughly then dry with a soft cloth.
Now let's add some color. Because the glass is etched on the inside, it now has "tooth" (a rough surface), so you can use regular acrylic paint for this technique. I poured about half of the paint into the bottle then carefully, holding the bottle on its side, I turned it around slowly until the inside was completely covered. Pour the excess paint back into the paint bottle. I love to experiment, so I used Patio Paint to color the blue bottle. Patio paint has a thinner consistency, so it was easy to work with. The pink and yellow bottles were coated on the inside with regular acrylic paint. This paint had a much thicker consistency, so I thinned it with a little water before using. Both paints worked well. Let the paint dry at least 24-48 hours and DO NOT fill with water. These are intended for decorative purposes only. In case you're wondering, I tried glass paint with this technique on unetched glass, but the coverage wasn't quite as even as I would have liked. Now that you've colored the bottles, set them aside to dry while you make the flowers.
Cut 18" of each color of ribbon. Pull the thread from both ends to gather then tie the ends together in a simple overhand knot.
To make the center, push the end of the craft stick into each of the Smoothfoam balls. Smoothfoam is very dense, so you may need to make a pilot hole with the tip of a craft knife first.
Using the craft stick as a handle, coat the surface of the ball with white glue. The surface is nice and smooth, making it easy to work with. When the surface is covered, sprinkle with Flower Soft sprinkles. Let dry.
Push the craft stick thru the center of the flower, then secure with cool temp glue at the base of the covered ball.
Trim the craft stick on the the under side of the flower to 1" then glue the end of the straw, over the craft stick, to the base of the flower. The "bendy" part of the straw will allow you to position the flower if desired.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Bright Button Flowers
- Decoupaged Clay Pot
- Scene Stealing Diaper Cake Baby Shower Craft
- 28 Decorative Front Door Wreaths for Spring
- Colorful Ladybugs Toilet Paper Roll Craft
- Crochet Spring Celebration Wreath
- Bring on Spring DIY Throw Pillow Cover
- Mini Spring Bonnets
- Flowery DIY Wall Art
- Most Magical Spring Table Decor
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Winter Jewels Emerald Cube Granny Square
- In The Clouds Scarf
- Herringbone Chevron Beanie
- Arctic Ice Snood
- Create A Heart Template
- Mitered Corners
- How To Sew A Four Patch Quilt Block
- Easy Half Square Triangles
- Diy Valentine’s Day Toilet Paper Roll Wreath
- Easy You Spice Up My Life Diy Valentine's Day Gifts With Printables
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home