Follow the step-by-step instructions from Baby Lock to sew an attractive tote for your 9" X 13" casserole dish, perfect for bringing to pot luck gatherings. Applique stars cut from fabric remnants add fun decoration to the casserole tote.
- Baby Lock Sewing Machine
- Baby Lock Imagine Serger
- 1 yard 45" wide cotton fabric for cover
- 1 yard 45" wide cotton fabric for lining
- 1 yard cotton batting
- Denim and cotton remnants for star appliqués
- 4 cones Maxi-Lock serger thread
- 1 spool all-purpose thread
- Assorted colors Embroidery thread
- Stabilizer (Optional)
- Two 13" pieces of 5/8" dowel rod
- 5" sew-on hook and loop tape
- Stitch: Straight Stitch Center Position
- Needle and Bobbin: All-purpose thread
- Needle type: Schmetz™ #80 Universal needle
- Serger Set-Up:
- Set Imagine for 4-thread serging, stitch selector A, length 3.0 and width 7.5.
- Place Maxi-Lock serger thread in the needles and loopers.
Cutting and Preparation:
Cut 1 pattern piece from each of the cotton fabrics (Diagram 1). Cut a rectangle 12-3/4" x 3-1/4" for the spoon pocket.
Note: Be sure to add the 5/8" seam allowance on the outside edges as shown
- Mark the center of both handle sides of the tote on outer fabric only (Diagram 2).
To Add Machine Embroidery (Optional):
Hoop one side of the outer fabric with the stabilizer. Embroider your selected design using your center marking as a guide for positioning the design. When complete, disconnect the embroidery unit and thread for normal straight stitch sewing.
To Add Appliqué Stars:
Cut four stars from the cotton remnants varying the size slightly.
Stitch the stars to the remnant of denim. Straight stitch around the outside of the stars ¼” from the edge. Then cut the denim out another ¼” from the stitching line, so the denim stars are now ½” bigger than the center star.
Fray the edges of the denim stars. Appliqué two or three stars using your center marking as a guide for positioning the design. Use the remaining star(s) on the pocket side.
- Serge finish all four sides of the pocket rectangle. Press the serging under on two long sides and one short side. Turn under 5/8" on the remaining short side and stitch one side of 1" piece of hook and loop tape to wrong side of pocket piece.
- Center the pocket horizontally on the opposite handle side, using the center mark as a reference point. Stitch the other half of 1" piece of hook and loop tape to outer fabric for pocket closure. Stitch close to edges of pocket, attaching to outer fabric.
- Place completed outer fabric and lining fabric right sides together. Place batting piece on top. Stitch 5/8" seam around sides except for circle cuts for handles. Trim seam allowances and turn right side out.
- Serge finish each circle cut edge, single layer. Press the serged edge to the wrong side using the serged edge as seam allowance. Slide dowel pieces into each handle area (Diagram 3).
- With the dowel to the LEFT of the presser foot, stitch the front and lining pieces together around the circle, and secure the dowel from slipping out of the handle. (Dowel must be to the left of the presser foot. This will place the bulk of the fabric to the inner area of your sewing machine; however, your needle bar will hit the dowel if it is placed to the right). Repeat for the other side.
- Stitch remaining 4" of hook and loop tape to the inner folding sides of the casserole cover, about 5/8" in from seam edge (Diagram4).