Tutorial: Learn To Make A Fabric Flower
Caroline Critchfield's Tutorial: Learn To Make A Fabric Flower provides a free easy sewing pattern for how to make flowers out of fabric. This fabric flower tutorial will give you the tools you need to make fabric flowers for any occasion.
- Matching thread
- First cut a strip off of your fabric, the whole width is fine. Mine is 4 inches tall. Fold the fabric in half lengthwise and thread a needle with lots of thread.
- Get ready to sew long stitches like this.
- So, make a knot at the fold near the end.
- Then, sew long gatherins stitches, curving down to the long cut edge.
- After you've sewn 4 or 5 inches, pull the thread to gather and start rolling the strip like a cinnamon roll.
- Sew through the bottom to secure.
- And then continue sewing more gathering stitches along the cut edge. You will be sewing a bit, pulling to gather, wrapping and securing, and then repeating. Keep in mind that the more gathered your flower is, the fuller and more "bloomed" the flower will be (see pic at end). The flower that I'm sewing here is less gathered and bloomed.
- Here I am securing a bit that I just gathered and wrapped.
- Near the end I wasn't gathering too much, mostly just pulling the thread a little, and then wrapping and securing.
- When you get to the end, curve your line of stitching up to the fold so your cut edges will be at the bottom.
- And, the flower will have a nice little sloped edge on one side.
- Stitch the bottom all together again to be sure it won't come apart.
- At this point, you could hot glue a piece of felt on the bottom like my other flower has. I skipped it this time. And so far, I have just pinned this to things from the inside. I'm afraid to wash it. So here is what it will look like if you have not so much gathering:
- And this one has lots of gathering - it's in full bloom!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Sewn Accessories"
Follow these free sewing patterns to make your own accessories like bracelets, hair accessories and embellished shoes. These free sewing tutorials make fun gifts too!