Ribbon Flower Pins
Make flowers from fabric or ribbon with these fabric flower instructions. Ribbon flower pins are the perfect embellishment for any accessory.
- 2-4 yards of wire ribbon (depending on how large and tight you want your flower) (I used one and 1/2 inch wide ribbon.)
- Quilting thread or other strong thread
- Small amount of felt
- Hair clip or pin (or both)
- Pull on the wire of one side of the ribbon to ruffle. Ruffle the entire length of your piece of ribbon. Not all wire ribbon is the same. Some are more fragile, so pull gently. Leave a few inches wire hanging out from the ends, but clip away the rest to get it out of your way.
- To start, fold your ribbon back on forth a few times (on the side of ribbon which you’ve just pulled the wire). Using quilting thread run a stitch through the ribbon several times to secure.
- Start wrapping the ribbon around. Secure each wrap by stitching all the way through the layers in a star pattern.
- Once it is large enough to be difficult to stitch through all the layers, secure by stitching to the previous layer.
- When you come to the end of the ribbon, fold the the corner of ribbon back inside to hide the raw edge. Stitch into place. Cut off any excess wire hanging out of the ends.
- Cut a circle out of felt to cover the back of the flower. I cut a second layer of felt in a wide strip and secured it with a zigzag on each side. That way I could easily slip in onto a hair clip or a pin.
- Stitch the felt into place on the back of the flower using a blind stitch.
Read NextUmbrella Recovery Project
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Feb 28, 2017
Had something similar to this made on valentines day, red in color attached to my navy blue to supplement the dress. Simple nut unique creation can change the look on any kind of fabric you just have to know how to blend the colors. This is a must know creation fo any designer. Thanx a bunch for sharing
May 01, 2016
These are so super cute. I never knew you could pull the wire ribbon like that to gather it up. I do not use wire ribbon hardly at all. This beats gathering the ribbon by sewing it. The flowers look so real. I am going to us them on hair bows and clothing to decorate.Thank you for sharing.The flower only has one wire right? Where is best place to find the ribbon?
sommerbreeze2003 6 553755
Jun 04, 2015
This is a beautiful flower and so easy to make! Looks like carnations!! TY For sharing!
Jan 17, 2013
Very pretty & simple! Thanks for sharing!
annegreystone 5976 110
Jan 01, 2011
Brilliant craft project,love to see more.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use