DIY Watercolor and Gold Leaf Technique
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
"My daughter and I have been redecorating her bedroom recently, and still on my ‘To Do’ list was to gather some art for the ubiquitous gallery wall that she requested. We re-purposed many pictures and frames that we already had, but we needed some pops of pink and, as is my wont, I opted to make art instead of buy it. This was a nice, quick project and one that perfectly accomplished our goal."
Estimated CostUnder $10
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Project TypeLearn a Technique
- Watercolor Pad
- Gold Leaf Adhesive
- Watercolor. For this project I used Cotman Permanent Rose and Cotman Cadmium Red Pale Hue
- Wide brushes
How to Paint Watercolor and Gold Leaf Techniques
Lay on the colors that you want in the watercolor.
By using your brush to ‘draw’ a line in the paint, you create a barrier that the paint really doesn’t want to cross, but will if really forced to. I made my line a little wonky, as opposed to a straight line. You can force the paint to ‘cross the barrier’ by holding the paper up and lightly tapping it on the counter. I like the way this made a few streaks of color to go out on their own.
Once that is dry, lay down the gold leaf adhesive where you want the gold leaf to be. You don’t need much of the adhesive, a thin coat will do.
Wait about 45 minutes before you lay your gold leaf in pieces over your adhesive.
Take a sheet of gold leaf. If you haven’t worked with gold leaf before, it is some fragile stuff. Don’t panic if it tears, wrinkles or folds. That’s part of the characteristic of it. You’ll notice it really wants to cling right to the adhesive.
Use a soft brush to gently brush the gold leaf away from the areas with adhesive.
Learn more about painting with our helpful article: The Ultimate Guide to Paint Brush Types
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Unicorn Spit Wood Slice Rainbow
- Sheep Painted Rocks
- Wooden Rooster Gift Box
- Mini Pallet with Plants
- How to Clean Hardened Paint Brushes
- Diy Tea Towels
- Barn Quilt
- Everything You Need to Know About Mandala Rock Painting
- Make Your Garden Oasis More Vibrant With Painted Rocks
- Motivational Painted Rock Paper Weights
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Printable Flowers Word Search Puzzle
- Love Live Lake
- Narwhal Uniwhale
- How To Make A Double Crochet Rectangle Base In Rounds
- Wanderers Mosaic Blanket
- Jeweled Dragonfly Pendant
- Wood Clay And Metal Earrings
- Pocket Pillow Cover
- Painted Bird Nest Pillow Cover
- Blessed Three Star Coaster
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home