Thrifty Chevron Bookcase
Learn how to decorate bookcases so that they look brand new with this Thrifty Chevron Bookcase tutorial. All you need to do is add a little bit of color and an exciting pattern to make a boring piece of furniture really stand out. Decorating a bookcase on your own is much more inexpensive than purchasing one already decorated, and you might have a little bit of fun roaming about flea markets and imagining what old bookcases would look like with a fresh bit of paint.
You can find this project, and many more just like it, in our new free eBook, How to Paint Furniture: 19 Upcycled Furniture Projects free eBook from DecoArt!
Americana® Decor™ Accessories
- Waxing & Finishing Brush (ADB01)
Americana® Decor™ Chalky Finish Paint
- Everlasting (ADC01)
- Treasure (ADC19)
- Yesteryear (ADC27)
Americana® Decor™ Crème Waxes
- Clear (ADM01)
- Paper towels
- White cloth
- 2" flat brush
- Bookshelf (flea market find)
- FrogTape® Shape Tape™ in chevron pattern
Let dry completely between painting steps.
1. Wipe down bookcase thoroughly with damp paper towels to get any dust or residue off.
2. Remove shelves from bookcase.
3. Use 2" flat brush to basecoat the backing of shelves with Yesteryear. Rinse brush.
4. Apply Frog tape across the backing of shelves. Wipe down with damp paper towel to remove the powdery residue.
5. Use 2" Flat brush with Everlasting to paint the chevron pattern on. Then remove tape.
6. Use 2" Flat brush to base coat the entire bookshelf except for backing of shelves. Rinse brush.Let dry completely.
7. Use 2" Waxing brush to apply Clear creme wax over entire piece to seal. Use white cloth to buff (optional) to a satin sheen.
- The Frog Tape Shape does not work well with Chalky Finish paint and causes it to dry and form chunks of paint on the brush. Be sure to wipe down with a damp cloth prior to using the Chalky Finish paint over the tape.
Read NextHow to Turn a Door into a Desk
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Jun 12, 2017
I love this look of this fashionable chevron stripe bookcase! I don't paint furniture a whole lot, only have done this a couple times in my life. I (freestyle) painted my dining room chairs and I did a small chest of drawers with a stencil. I have not used Frog tape before, and I am wondering if they make it in that chevron shape. It is hard to tell from the pics if it is something I need to shape out myself or not.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use