Beautiful Butterfly Bowl and Caterpillar Purse
Kids and adults alike will love this Beautiful Butterfly Bowl and Caterpillar Purse from Dimensions. Felt crafts like this are easy to make and fun to display anytime of year. Once you've mastered the skill of felting, you'll find it hard to stop!
- Small Nutmeg Felt Bowl
- Wool Roving in: Butter/Cheddar; Seafoam/Dark Aqua; Orchid/Boysenberry; Spring Green/Spruce
- Felting Mat
- Multi Needle Felting Tool
- Rose Coin Purse
- Warm Felt Ball Assortment from Dimensions
- Cool Ball Felt Assortment from Dimensions
- Yarn: black
- Embroidery thread: cheddar, orange, lime green, magenta
- Embroidery needles for yarn and thread
- Embroidery thread: lime green, magenta, black
- Embroidery needle
- Butterfly Bowl: Needlefelt four butterflies onto the bowl--we created two smaller and two larger butterflies, and used cheddar, dark aqua, orchid, and spring roving colors. Simply shaping the butterfly wings while needlefelting makes this design easy to complete.
- Using chain stitch and black yarn, form the butterfly bodies. The antenna were stitched using back stitch and French knots.
- The accents on the wings were stitched in assorted colors of thread using lazy daisies and French knots. The flight paths of the two smaller butterflies were stitched using a running stitch.
- Caterpillar Purse: Using 6 strands of the rose embroidery thread, string the smallest balls from the assortments to create the handle of the purse. We used 26 balls for our handle. Attach to the purse using thread and needle and knotting the ends of the thread inside the edge of the purse.
- The caterpillar is made by stringing 14 small wool balls on 6 strands of embroidery thread. Tack in place with another 6 strand piece of embroidery thread.
- Add the embroidery details: lazy daisies for the grass, back stitch for the mouth and antenna, and French knots for the eyes and antenna ends.