"Gal"entine's BFF Necklaces
Make your very best gal friend this adorable and fun "Gal"entine's BFF Necklace! Made using clay and simple rubber stamps, this adorable clay charm necklace is a sweet and meaningful gift to friends, moms, siblings, and cousins! Show a special friend how much she means to you by making her this sweet necklace for her birthday.
- 1 block polymer clay (color of your choice)
- Petroleum jelly (optional)
- Heart shaped cookie cutter
- Cutting tool
- Letter stamps
- Glitter (optional)
- Take some well-conditioned polymer clay and roll it out to about 1/4″ thick. Well-conditioned just means that it’s nice and smooth and pliable, and not a dried out crumbly piece of garbage. You just have to squish it and squish it and squish it for a while to make that happen, but if you have a particularly bad case you can mix in a bit of petroleum jelly. Once it’s rolled out, use a cookie cutter to cut a heart shape, just as if you were making sugar cookies. Once you use it on the clay, however, you won’t want to use it on cookies again, so the dollar store is a great place to look for one.
- Cut a jagged line down the center of your heart and smooth out any rough edges.
- Poke a hole in the top of each piece so it can be worn as a necklace. A pencil works great for this job.
- I used letter stamps to put “Be Fri” on one piece and “St Ends” on the other, but you could also do that by hand with a dull pencil. Smooth out any stray marks.
- This step is optional, but I wanted to add a little glitter. So I used this stuff called Luster Dust and brushed it onto the clay like I was applying blush to my face. I love the cool opalescent shimmer this stuff adds. Bake the clay pieces according to the instructions on the package.
- Once the clay is baked and cooled, you can add some paint to the debossed letters to make them stand out. I rubbed a bit of acrylic paint over the letters, and then came back with a washcloth or a baby wipe to remove the excess paint. Use a light touch over the top of the letters so you don’t just wipe all the paint away.
- With the paint dry you can add a ribbon and your necklace is ready to give away.