How to Paint Crushed Velvet Upholstery
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
"Did you know you can paint velvet fabric? Yes, paint it. Check out the blue side of this chair which is PAINT! Looks like a totally new piece of furniture, doesn’t it? And the best part is... IT STAYS SOFT! It still feels soft like velvet instead of feeling a little harder like patio furniture.
"Basically you are 'dying' the fabric on this technique so instead of the paint sitting on top of the fabric (and drying down hard and stiff), you work the paint into the fabric to essentially 'dye' it. So much better!"
Project TypeLearn a Technique
- Old velvet upholstered furniture
- Clear fabric paint
- Chalk paint
- Sanding block (fine or medium grit)
- Chip brush
In an old coffee container or bucket of some kind, mix the following: 1 part FAB clear (fabric paint) + 1 part chalk type paint (the blue) + 5 parts water This is a very thin, very runny mixture like the consistency of milk. You will not need much at all. We used less than a quart total of this mixture on this 1/2 chair.
Brush the first layer on. Try to work it into the tufting and all the seams. If the cushion CAN come off, take it off. Otherwise, just work your brush into the cracks. And if it’s easier to work the color into the fabric with your glove and hand, do that.
Let it dry. And this layer may look scary when it’s done. But DON’T PANIC YET!
After the paint is dry, next comes the most important part: SAND THE PAINTED FABRIC WITH A SANDING BLOCK. This will make the fabric go back to feeling soft!
Then do another layer of painting and sanding and another coat of paint and sanding until the color is as deep as you want it!
NotesNOTE: Don't worry. After doing this technique, the paint will not crack and will not come off on your clothes when you sit down.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Washcloth Bunny And Chick
- Printable Easter Basket Tags
- How To Make Tie Dye Easter Eggs
- Foam Cup Chick
- Spring Gingham Placemats
- Cracked Colored Eggs
- Face Mask Sewing Patterns Roundup
- Super Simple Face Mask Pattern For Adults And Kids
- Crochet Easter Bunny Eggs
- Pocket Tote Bag Pattern
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home