Bread Dough Alphabet Letters
Are you a fan of mixed media projects? Then you'll love Bread Dough Alphabet Letters from Heidi Borchers! These letters are a great addition to any project and serve as a unique way of expressing yourself. Use the vintage bread dough recipe and get creative.
- Bread – white bread – 2 slices for each batch
- Aleene’s Easy Flow Tacky Glue
- Lemon juice
- Cold cream
- Corn starch
- Measuring spoons
- Plastic container to mix in
- Craft sticks – to stir
- Zip lock bag
- Alphabet letter cookie cutters
- Water color paint box with fine tip brush
- Acrylic paints – white, yellow
- Waxed paper
- Rolling pin
- Shower to Shower Body Powder
Recipe for Bread Dough:
- 2 slices of white bread with crusts removed and broken into tiny pieces (or use a food processor)
- 2 Tablespoons Aleene’s Easy Flow Tacky Glue
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Dab of cold cream
- Place all ingredients from recipe into plastic container.
- Using the craft stick, mix the ingredients together.
- When mixture has formed a sticky ball, clean hands and then rub hands with a dab of cold cream. Remove the ball of dough from the container. Knead dough in hands until it no longer sticks to your hands and is smooth and pliable.
- Place dough into a zip lock bag until ready to use. This is an air dry dough, so only take out what you are using and return excess to the plastic bag.
- Cover your work surface with waxed paper. Sprinkle waxed paper and rolling pin with body powder to keep the dough from sticking.
- Cut out desired letters using the cookie cutters. Place letters on a clean piece of waxed paper to dry.
- Turn letters occasionally during drying to prevent from curling. Let dry overnight.
- To paint the letters with a wash of color, pour a small puddle of water on a piece of waxed paper. Dip brush into water puddle and pull across surface of paint. Dip brush back into water puddle to create a light blue wash of blue. Paint top surface of each letter with blue wash. Paint the edges of each letter with full strength of blue watercolor. Let dry.
- Paint each letter (or shape) with blue flowers and green leaves. Let dry.
- Dip end of toothpick into yellow acrylic paint and dot into the center of each flower. Dip the other end into white and dot onto the letters around the flowers. Let dry.
- Glue letters onto desired surface. Let dry.
For a comprehensive video tutorial of this project, check out How to Make Alphabet Letters from Aleene's Bread Dough Recipe.