Autumn Mixed Media Canvas
Create your own fall decorations this season. An Autumn Mixed Media Canvas from Linda Peterson is an artistic way to express yourself. Use a variety of crafty materials to create a piece that really represents your point of view.
- Canvas 12 x 24
- Music sheet
- Handwriting sheet
- Collage medium
- Sponge brushes
- Paint in colors of choice – we used a brick red, turquoise, burnt umber, sand, white and black, sunflower yellow
- Distress inks in greens and browns
- Words or phrase of choice
- Bottle caps – anything to create a circle texture – optional
- Foam stamps –optional
- Charcoal pencil
- Cut out strips of newsprint and decoupage onto canvas. Allow to dry.
- Apply a light wash of white paint randomly over surface.
- Apply desired paint color to bubble wrap or plastic wrap and stamp onto surface to begin the layered textural effect. Repeat until you have a pleasing background. Allow to dry.
- Cut out sunflower and pot pattern from handwriting and music papers and decoupage to background.
- Paint over sunflower with yellow – leaving some of the writing to show through.
- Paint pot using the same technique.
- Outline with charcoal pencil to give added depth.
- Finish by applying any additional textural effects or phrases as desired. Apply finish coat of decoupage medium over surface and allow to dry completely.
For a comprehensive video tutorial, check out How to Make a Sunflower Collage Mixed Media Canvas.
Read NextMixed Media Altered Jenga Blocks
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Daughter of Light
Jun 01, 2017
This mixed media art just breathes autumn! It's one of my favorite seasons too! I love the sunflower and the fact that this piece can be personalized with a saying all my own. I'm a native Kansas and the sunflower is our state flower so this one's definitely giving my good vibes! Thanks for the pics too. I'm on it!!!
Dec 18, 2016
I love mixed media art and this flower art here looks so pretty. But I wonder is there any mixed media art with designs for boys? Every time I create a new design, it's always turn out girly. . Hm maybe I can change the sunflower with pinwheel or kite. Let's try!
Aug 10, 2016
I love mixed media. I think it is so unique so when I see these canvas wonders my brain says where can I put these or who can I make one for. This Autumn one with the flower is such a beauty. I love the colors. They are so vibrant. I think I will make one with larger canvas to go above the fireplace. And this is a great way to allow the kids to get real creative and I am sure the look on their face will be well worth it. I may let my grand kids make some for Christmas gifts. How about you?
Jun 05, 2015
How cute and creative!
Mar 28, 2014
I had same issue coffeewithclouds. All I got was an ad playing. Sure would love to have the remaining parts. This is an awesome idea.
Jul 24, 2012
love this idea and I really want to makee it but it says to download the paper you need and I see noway to download anything I could really use some HELP
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use