A Colorful Life Collage
Make a statement with A Colorful Life Collage featuring "pieces" of you! Collect objects and things around the house that represent you to create a piece of wall decor that everyone will ask about when they come into your home. Use Krylon Gesso Spray to create this piece.
Primary TechniqueMixed Media
- 1 Can Krylon® White Gesso Spray
- 1 Stretched Canvas any size (I used a 6x12)
- 1 Bottle E6000 Craft Adhesive
- 1 Bottle Mod Podge Matte Finish
- 1 Jar Finnabair Black Sand Texture Paste by Prim
- 1 4x3 Brick wall stencil from SaCrafters
- 3 Homemade shimmer mist sprays
- 7 Gelatos
- 1 Water spritz bottle
- Variety of embellishments: buttons, charms, metal findings, frames, 3d stickers, pins, wood veneer/chipboard, flair buttons, glass, plastic, ribbon/lace/trims, etc.
- Choose your canvas then begin collecting various embellishments such as buttons and flair buttons, pins, brads, charms, metal findings (raid your hubby's garage for some interesting finds like washers, nails, screws, small gears etc), wood veneer, chipboard, 3d stickers, clips, bling, paper flowers, ribbon and trims and anything else you can think of that creates dimension, texture and interest! (This is also a great way to use up some of your neglected embellishments and clear out your stash)
- Start laying everything out on your canvas to get a general idea of placement and balance before gluing it all down. Not everything ends up getting used and some things get shuffled around--that's part of the fun! (Remember, it's all about YOU and what you want on it. Don't be afraid of mismatching--it will all come together in the end!) *Tip-take a picture of the canvas and use it for reference when you are gluing all your items into place. This is also when you would lay down any stencil work or textural elements.
- Glue everything down securely and let dry overnight.
- Spray the entire canvas (including sides) with White Krylon Gesso Spray and let dry for 1 hour (it actually dries much quicker, within 15 minutes in fact, however, I waited a bit longer because I sprayed some areas heavier than others and wanted to ensure all the little nooks and crannies were dry.
- Start coloring canvas with whatever you want. I used my own homemade shimmer mists and Gelatos and water and I ended up with a rainbow of colors across my canvas. I wiped away a bit of color in some areas allowing the white Krylon Gesso Spray to show through, a really pretty effect. Let dry completely and add sentiments, word stickers, hand doodling, etc, if desired. Or leave it as is--it's just as lovely!