Recycled Belt Leather Bracelets
Recycle thrift store or old belts into fun and funky bracelets. You can make 3, 4 or even 5 bracelets from a single belt and give them all different personalities with earth friendly paints, chains and beads. Why not make a batch of these for gifts or to coordinate with every outfit you own?
- Leather or leather like belt
- Opaque Shimmers from Earth Safe Finishes in your choice of colors
- Toggle or hook clasp
- 1” chain or 22 GA wire to match clasp
- Strong scissors or leather shears
- Leather/belt hole punch
- Paintbrushes, liner for details
- Jewelry making tools, pliers and wire cutters
- Additional chain
- Metal tags
- Kevlar thread or wire to attach the above
1. Cut your belt section 1”-1 ½” shorter than your normal bracelet size depending on how loose or tight you like to wear them. (Don’t worry about the existing belt holes you can either ignore them or bead through them later.) Trim corners round, on a diagonal or leave straight.
2. Punch holes on both ends about 1/8” in.
3. Paint your belt using Shimmers and your choice of colors. Some are a random splash of colors, some use the existing embossed pattern and some are freeform patterns. You may also choose to use a stencil or rubber stamp to create your image. Allow the paint to dry.
4. Attach your closure with jump rings or a combination of chain, jump rings or wire. The following photos show how easy it is to use what findings you have on hand. If you are using a toggle make sure to add in some small chain on the bar end to make it easier to attach the bracelet.
5. Embellish more if you like!
Stitch on beads, charms, buttons or trinkets using Kevlar thread. Knot on the back then dot each knot with a dab of glue when you are done.
Wire on tags by using a flat bead with a head pin run through it on the underside. Wrap the ends of the head pins around holes in the tag, secure with more wraps then trim the ends.
Add sections of chain by attaching chain ends to jump rings on each end.
There are a million and one ways to make this bracelet so try it out today!
Read NextPunk Rock Metal
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
annthorne46 845355 3
Aug 23, 2013
The designs here are great I will have a go at making them I just hope some of them are not to difficult to do Keep up the great jewellery ideas please
Jul 01, 2013
great idea i hope i can manage to do these
May 03, 2012
I have done this, it works great and in addition you can get at least two or three bracelets for like a buck or two!
Dec 25, 2011
If you will use real Leatherbelts, you could also use a Solderingiron and
Dec 05, 2010
this is something I would do with my granddaughters, love the idea.
Aug 18, 2010
Hi, I would like to know where I can buy this Opaque paint for leather. I tried Michael's Crafts store & they don't have it. Patricia
Aug 14, 2010
Well this is August 14th and you put the belt braclets back on your site. Still no pictures. I've got all the equipment for th braclets but no pictures to go with the instructions. Whats the problem? Tollie Smith
Jul 11, 2010
I would love to do this craft and i'm sure I could do it, but I would also love to have the pictures that go along with the directions. thanks Tollie Smith
Jul 10, 2010
The best directions I've seen. The pictures really make a difference.
Jul 10, 2010
I absolutely love this idea!!! One of my favorite hobbies is turning what some may think as trash into a treasure. This one is definitely a TREASURE!! Thanks Again, Donna
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use