Recycled Belt Leather Bracelets
Recycle thrift store or old belts into fun and funky bracelets. You can make 3, 4 or even 5 bracelets from a single belt and give them all different personalities with earth friendly paints, chains and beads. Why not make a batch of these for gifts or to coordinate with every outfit you own?
- Leather or leather like belt
- Opaque Shimmers from Earth Safe Finishes in your choice of colors
- Toggle or hook clasp
- 1” chain or 22 GA wire to match clasp
- Strong scissors or leather shears
- Leather/belt hole punch
- Paintbrushes, liner for details
- Jewelry making tools, pliers and wire cutters
- Additional chain
- Metal tags
- Kevlar thread or wire to attach the above
1. Cut your belt section 1”-1 ½” shorter than your normal bracelet size depending on how loose or tight you like to wear them. (Don’t worry about the existing belt holes you can either ignore them or bead through them later.) Trim corners round, on a diagonal or leave straight.
2. Punch holes on both ends about 1/8” in.
3. Paint your belt using Shimmers and your choice of colors. Some are a random splash of colors, some use the existing embossed pattern and some are freeform patterns. You may also choose to use a stencil or rubber stamp to create your image. Allow the paint to dry.
4. Attach your closure with jump rings or a combination of chain, jump rings or wire. The following photos show how easy it is to use what findings you have on hand. If you are using a toggle make sure to add in some small chain on the bar end to make it easier to attach the bracelet.
5. Embellish more if you like!
Stitch on beads, charms, buttons or trinkets using Kevlar thread. Knot on the back then dot each knot with a dab of glue when you are done.
Wire on tags by using a flat bead with a head pin run through it on the underside. Wrap the ends of the head pins around holes in the tag, secure with more wraps then trim the ends.
Add sections of chain by attaching chain ends to jump rings on each end.
There are a million and one ways to make this bracelet so try it out today!
Read NextStamped Leather Bracelets