Knit Christmas Pullover
If you're looking for creative Christmas gift ideas for a baby's first Christmas, or just something to take the pictures in, try out Coats and Clark's Knit Christmas Pullover. It's adorable, so take advantage of the age and dress your baby up in this sweet sweater! Perfect for the whole winter season, this knit pullover is suitable for a little boy or girl and can be made in one of several colors. Directions are given to fit babies ranging from 3-24 months of age.
- 2 skeins Red Heart® Holiday Yarn in Red
- 4mm (US 6), 4.5mm (US 7), 4mm (US 6) and 4.5mm (US 7) knitting needles
- 24" circular needle
- Stitch holders
- Yarn needle
- Pompom maker
Directions are for size 3-6 months. Changes for sizes 12 months, 18 months and 24 months are in parentheses.
Finished Chest: 22, (24, 26, 28)”
Finished Length: 11 (12, 13, 14)”
Row 1 (Right Side): [K1, p1] across.
Row 2: [P1, k1] across.
Repeat Rows 1-2 for Seed st.
With smaller needles, cast on 44 (48, 52, 56) sts. Work in Seed st for 4 rows, end with a wrong side row. Change to larger size needles and work in St st until piece measures 11 (12, 13, 14)”, end with a wrong side row.
- Next Row: Bind off 13 (14, 15, 16) sts, knit center 18 (20,22, 24) sts and slip to a stitch holder, bind off remaining sts.
Work as for Back until piece measures 8 (9, 10, 11)” from beginning, end with a wrong side row. Shape Neck
- Next Row (Right Side): K20 (22, 24, 26) sts, k2tog, join second ball of yarn, k2tog, work across row. Working both sides at same time with separate balls of yarn, dec 1 st at neck edge every row 8 (9, 10, 11) times –13 (14, 15, 16) sts each side. Work until piece measures same length as Back to Shoulders. Bind off.
With smaller needles, cast on 24 (24, 28, 28) sts. Work in Seed St for 8 rows, end with a wrong side row. Change to larger needles and St st, inc 1 st each side every other row 6 (8, 8, 10) times – 36 (40, 44, 48) sts. Work even until piece measures 6½ (7½8½, 10½)” from beginning.
- Bind off.
- Sew Shoulders.
With right side facing and larger circular needle, join yarn at Right Front neck edge, pick up and knit 14 sts along Front Neck edge to Back Neck, work 18 (20, 22, 24) sts from Back Neck stitch holder, pick up and knit 14 sts along Left Front Neck edge – 46 (48, 50, 52) sts. Work in St st until Hood measures 10 (10 ½ , 11, 11½)”.
- Bind off. Fold Hood in half along bind-off edge and sew together.
With right side facing and smaller circular needle, pick up and knit 86 (90, 94, 98) sts around front edge of Hood. Work in Seed St for 4 rows.
- Bind off.
Measure and mark 4½ (5, 5½, 6)” down from Shoulders on Front and Back. Sew top of Sleeves between markers. Sew side and Sleeve seams. Weave in ends.
- Make pompom and sew to tip of Hood.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Knitting for Christmas"
Knitting for Christmas
Find free knitting patterns for Christmas crafts, including ornament knitting patterns, tree skirt knitting patterns and more.