Traditional Knitted Socks
Traditional Knitted Socks are not only a fun winter project, but they make a great gift for everyone! These handmade socks from Red Heart Yarn can be made to fit small to large feet and are great for both men and women. You'll never have to buy socks again with this easy knitted pattern!
- “Bamboo Ewe™”: 2 (2, 2, 3) balls 5410 Mercury
- Double Pointed Needles: One set 3.5mm (US 4)
- Stitch holder
- Stitch markers
- Yarn needle
GAUGE: 20 sts = 4”; 28 rows = 4” in K2, p2, slightly stretched. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
ssk: slip next two stitches knitwise to right needle, insert point of left needle through front of sts, knit these sts together through back loop.
Grafting: Thread yarn needle with long length of yarn. Hold the two needles in the left hand with wrong sides together. Keeping the yarn needle and yarn under the points of the knitting needles, graft the stitches together as follows:
- Insert yarn needle through first st of front needle as if to knit and slip the st off.
- Insert needle through 2nd st of front needle as if to purl, but leave the st on the needle.
- Insert yarn through first st on back needle as if to purl and slip the st off.
- Insert yarn through 2nd stitch on back needle as if to knit, but leave st on needle. Repeat from * until all the sts are joined. Take care to draw yarn up so that gauge of grafting equals gauge of knitting. Fasten off. Weave in ends on wrong side.
Directions are for size Small (Women’s 5½-7); changes for sizes Medium (Women’s 7½-9 or Men’s 6-8), Large (Women’s 9½-12 or Men’s 8½-11) and X-Large (Men’s 11½-14½) are in parentheses.
- Cast on 40 (44, 48, 52) sts. Divide sts evenly around doublepointed needles. Join to work in rounds, taking care not to twist sts. Place marker for beginning of round.
- Work in K2, p2 rib until piece measures 8” from beg. Knit first st to center K2, p2 rib on Instep.
- NOTE: Heel Flap is worked back and forth in rows.
- Row 1: Turn, slip 1, purl across 19 (21, 23, 25), leave remaining sts unworked for Instep – 20 (22, 24, 26) sts.
- Row 2: [Slip 1, k1] across. Repeat Rows 1-2 for 20 (22, 24, 26) rows.
- Row 1 (Right Side): Slip 1, k11 (12, 13, 14), ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 2: Slip 1, p5, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 3: Slip 1, k6, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 4: Slip 1, p7, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Row 5: Slip 1, k8, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 6: Slip 1, p9, p2tog, p1, turn.
For Small Only:
- Row 7: Slip 1, k10, ssk, turn.
- Row 8: Slip 1, p10, p2tog, turn – 12 sts.
Sizes Medium, Large and X-Large:
- Row 7: Slip 1, k10, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 8: Slip 1, p11, p2tog, p1, turn – (14, 16, 18) sts.
For Large Only:
- Row 9: Slip 1, k12, ssk, turn.
- Row 10: Slip 1, p12, p2tog, turn – 14 sts.
For X-Large Only:
- Row 9: Slip 1, k12, ssk, k1, turn.
- Row 10: Slip 1, p13, p2tog, p1, turn – 16 sts.
- With right side facing, knit across 6 (7, 7, 8) sts of Heel, place marker for beginning of round, knit across remaining 6 (7, 7, 8) sts of Heel, pick up and knit 10 (11, 12, 13) sts along side of Heel Flap, place marker for Gusset shaping, work in K2, p2 rib as established across 20 (22, 24, 26) Instep sts, place marker for Gusset shaping, pick up and knit 10 (11, 12, 13) sts along side of Heel – 52 (58, 62, 68) sts.
- Round 1: Knit to 3 sts before first Gusset marker, k2tog, k1, work in rib across Instep sts to next Gusset marker, k1, ssk, knit to end of round – 50 (56, 60, 66) sts.
- Round 2: Knit to Gusset marker, work in rib across Instep sts to next Gusset marker, knit to end of round.
- Repeat Rounds 1-2 for 5 (6, 6, 7) times – 40 (44, 48, 52) sts on last round.
- Keeping Instep sts in rib and sole sts in St st, work until Foot measures 7½ (8½, 9½, 10½)” or 1½” shorter than desired length.
- Decrease Round: [Knit to 3 sts before Gusset marker, k2tog, k2, ssk] twice – 36 (40, 44, 48) sts.
- Repeat Decrease Round 5 (6, 7, 8) times – 16 sts. Divide sts in half and graft together.
Read NextGrandma's Knitted Slippers