We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Use double-pointed knitting needles and this free mittens knitting pattern from Bernat Yarns to create a chunky pair of mittens with contrast stripe. Make an extra pair just in case!
- Yarn: Bernat Softee Chunky (100 g/3.5 oz)Main Color (MC) 2 balls, Bernat Eye Lash (50 g/1.75 oz) Contrast A 2 balls
- Knitting Needles: Set of four size 6 mm (U.S. 10) double pointed knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.
Gauge: 14½ sts and 20 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st with 1 strand each MC and A.
Mittens (make 2 alike)
With MC and set of four needles, cast on 30 sts. Divide sts on 3 needles, 10 sts on each needle. Join in rnd. Mark first st with contrast thread.
Work 3 rnds in (K1. P1) ribbing.
Join A. Holding 1 strand each of MC and A tog, knit 14 rnds.
Shape thumb gusset: 1st rnd: K14. Inc 1 st in each of next 2 sts. Knit to end of rnd.
2nd and alt rnds: Knit.
3rd rnd: K14. Inc 1 st in next st. K2. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of rnd.
5th rnd: K14. Inc 1 st in next st. K4. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of rnd.
7th rnd: K14. Inc 1 st in next st. K6. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of rnd. 38 sts.
8th rnd: Knit.
9th rnd: K24. Slip last 10 sts onto safety pin (thumb opening). Knit to end of rnd.
10th rnd: Knit, casting on 2 sts over slipped sts. 30 sts.
Knit in rnds until work from beg measures 9 ins [23 cm].
Rearrange sts as follows: 15 sts on 1st needle. 7 sts on 2nd needle. 8 sts on 3rd needle.
Shape Top: 1st rnd: 1st needle: Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to last 2 sts. K2tog.
2nd needle: Sl1. K1. psso. Knit to end of needle.
3rd needle: Knit to last 2 sts. K2tog.
Dec 4 sts every rnd, as before, until there are 6 sts. Break A and MC, leaving a long end of MC.
Thread end of MC through rem 6 sts. Draw up and fasten securely.
Thumb: With one strand each of MC and A, K10 from safety pin. Pick up and knit 2 sts at base of thumb. Divide these 12 sts onto 3 needles. Knit 10 rnds even.
Next rnd: (K2tog) 6 times.
Next rnd: (K2tog) 3 times.
Break A and MC, leaving a long end of MC. Thread end of MC through rem 3 sts. Draw up and fasten securely.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Add a touch of whimsical charm to your spring and summer decor with this Classic Country Scrap Wreath. Made using fabric scraps of a… Continue reading: "Country DIY Fabric Wreath Tutorial"
- 16 Free Knitting Patterns for Mittens
- Beginner Montgomery Fingerless Mitts
- Boucle Mittens and Matching Beret
- Mittens for the Whole Family
- Lettuce Green Arm Warmers
- Roman Holiday Fingerless Mittens
- Fingerless Cable Gloves
- Quick Adorable Fingerless Gloves
- Starburst Fingerless Gloves Knitting Pattern
- Chunky Mittens Knitting Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Emilia Shawl
- Endless Eyelets Cardigan Pattern
- Ornamental Shawlette
- Plush Hourglass Floor Pillow
- Woodland Animals Baby Blanket
- Diy Tea Towels
- Cute Crochet Frog Bookmark
- Octopus Colouring Pages
- Making Christine's Dressig Robe For <$10
- Simple Dress To Sew
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home