Felted Sparrow Handbag
This simple chart and knitting pattern will show you how to make a felted bag with an adorable sparrow motif. This easy purse pattern is first knit in stockinette with intarsia colorwork and then felted to make it sturdy and durable!
- Patons Classic Wool Roving (or other bulky wool yarn) in main color
- Patons Classic Wool Roving (or other bulky wool yarn) in contrast color
- Size 10.5 circular knitting needle
- Tapestry needle
- Colorwork chart
Gauge: 15 stitches = 4 inches in St st – though not important as bag will be felted
- Cast on 120 Stitches in main color and join in round, placing marker at beginning of round and after 60 Sts.
- Knit every round for 10 rounds.
- Begin bird pattern in contrast color, starting from the bottom right and working up. This diagram shows the first 36 Sts of each row. Continue with the main color for the rest of each round.
- After bird pattern is finished, knit 6 rounds even.
- Begin Decreases. Decrease row: K1, SSK, K to 3 before marker, K2tog, K1, repeat.
- Repeat decrease row 2 more times.
- Next Row: K1, SSK, K12, BO 24, K12, K2tog, K1, repeat.
- Next Row: K1, SSK, K11, CO 24, K11, K2tog, K1, repeat (see video to cast on in the middle of a row).
- Repeat Decrease row every round for 3 rounds.
- Knit 3 rounds even.
- Bind off all stitches.
- Sew bottom seam and weave in all ends. Your bag should look like this:
- Felt bag.
Read NextEasy Knit Backpack
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Feb 10, 2012
felted bags don't droop--they r very sturdy and besides they r small and the idea is 2 put very little in them as they r meant 2 b used as a casual dressy purse.
Dec 09, 2011
I think that there is a lot of work to it and it wouldn't last because of the weight of the items in the purse would stretch it out of shape.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use