Baby Jester Hat
Two sweet pom-poms top off this fun knit hat for baby. This free baby knitting pattern from Bernat Yarns can be adjusted from 6 months to 24 months. You only need one ball of yarn for this hat, making it a wonderful gift or quick project.
Find this beautiful pattern and more knit hats in 27 Free Hat Knitting Patterns.
- Yarn: 1 ball for each size Bernat® Baby Jacquards (100 g / 3.5 oz) #06131 (I’m a Big Boy)
- Knitting Needles: Sizes 3.75 (U.S. 5) and 4 mm (U.S. 6) or size needed to obtain gauge.
Gauge: 23 sts and 30 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] with larger needles in stocking st.
Size: To fit child sizes 6 (12-18-24) mos.
- With smaller needles, cast on 86 (90-98-102) sts.
- Knit 5 rows (garter st), noting 1st row is WS and inc 3 sts evenly across last row. 89 (93-101-105) sts.
- Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st until work from beg measures 3 1/2 (4-4 1/4-4 1/2) ins [9 (10-11-11.5) cm], ending with a purl row.
- 1st row: (RS). K1. *M1. K21 (22-24-25). M1. K1 (place marker on last st). Rep from * to end of row.
- 2nd row: Purl.
- 3rd row: K1. *M1. Knit to marked st. M1. K1. Rep from * to end of row.
- Rep last 2 rows 6 times more. 153 (157-165-169) sts.
- Next row: Purl.
- Cast off. Sew back seam. Sew top as shown on diagram.
Pom-pom (make 4).
- Wind yarn around 3 fingers approx 60 times.
- Remove from fingers and tie tightly in center.
- Cut through each side of loops.
- Trim to a smooth round shape.
- Attach to each pointy end of Hat.