Strawberry Baby Cardigan
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
The strawberry baby cardigan is a cozy, girly cardigan for your little one. Make one using this free, cute knitting pattern and she'll wear it while you sing "Strawberry fields forever..."
- NaturallyCaron.com Spa 75% microdenier acrylic, 25%Bamboo, 3 oz/85 g, 251 yds/230 m ball): 9 (12, 15) oz--Shown in: #0001 Rose Bisque
- One pair size US 7 (4.5 mm), or size to obtain gauge
- One pair size US 6 (4 mm)
- 3 (3, 4) buttons—3/4" diameter
- Yarn needle
SIZES: Toddler’s 2 (3–4, 5–6)
Chest 24 (26, 28)"/61 (66, 71) cm
Length 13 (15, 17 1/2)"/33 (38, 44.5) cm
In Stockinette stitch, using US size 7 (4.5 mm) needles, 20 sts and 24 rows = 4"/10 cm
Garter stitch (Garter st)
Stockinette stitch (St st)
Twist to left (TL): Skip first st, knit in back of second st on left-hand needle, knit in first st and slip both sts to right-hand needle.
Twist to right (TR): Skip first st, knit in front of second st on left-hand needle, knit in first st and slip both sts to right-hand needle.
Smock Pattern (multiple of 4 sts plus 2)
Row 1 (RS): K1, *k1, p2, k1; repeat from * across, end with k1.
Row 2 (WS): P1, *p1, k2, p1; repeat from * across, end with p1.
Row 3 (RS): K1, *TL, TR; repeat from * across, end with k1.
Row 4: P1, *k1, p2, k1; repeat from * across, end with p1.
Row 5: K1, p1, *TR, p2; repeat from * across, end with TR, p1, k1.
Row 6: P1, *k1, p2, k1; repeat from * across, end with p1.
Row 7: K1, *TR, TL; repeat from * across, end with p1.
Rows 8, 10, 12 and 14: *P2, k2; repeat from * across, end with p2.
Row 9, 11 and 13: *K2, p2; repeat from * across, end with k2.
Repeat Rows 1-14 for smock pattern
- Using size 6 needles, cast on 90 (98, 106) sts. Knit 4 rows. Change to size 7 needles. Work even in St st until piece measures 7 1/2 (9, 11)" from beginning, end with a WS and decrease 32 (36, 40) sts evenly across last row—58 (62, 66) sts. Begin smock pattern and work until piece measures 8 1/2 (10, 12)" from beginning, end with a WS row.
- Shape Armholes
- Continuing in smock pattern, bind off 4 (4, 4) sts at beg of next 2 rows—50 (54, 58) sts.
- Work even until armhole measures 4 1/2 (5, 51/2)", end with a WS.
- Bind off loosely.
- Using size 6 needles, cast on 44 (48, 52) sts. Knit 4 rows. Change to size 7 needles. Work even in St stuntil piece measures 7 1/2 (9, 11)" from beginning, end with a WS row and decrease 14 (14, 14) sts evenly across last row— 30 (34, 38) sts. Begin smock pattern and work until piece measures 8 1/2 (10, 12)" from beginning, end with a WS row.
- Shape Armhole
- Continuing in smock pattern, bind off 4 (4, 4) sts at armhole edge once—26 (30, 34) sts.
- Work until armhole measures 2 1/2 (3, 3)" from beginning, end with a RS row.
- Shape Neck
- (WS) Bind off 6 (7, 8) sts, work in pattern to end—20 (23, 26) sts.
- At neck edge, decrease 1 st every other row 5 (5, 5) times—15 (18, 21) sts.
- Work even until armhole measures same as Back to shoulder.
- Bind off loosely.
Work as for Left Front, reversing all shaping.
- Using size 6 needles, cast on 34 (34, 36) sts. Knit 4 rows. Change to size 7 needles. Work even in St st until piece measures 2" from beginning, end with WS row. Increase 1 st each side of next RS row, then every 6 rows 4 (5, 6) times—44 (46, 50) sts. Work even until piece measures 7 (9, 11)" from beginning, end with a WS row.
- Shape Cap
- Continuing in St st, bind off 4 (4, 4) sts at beg of next 2 rows—36 (38, 42) sts.
- Decrease 1 st each side of next RS row, then every other row 6 (7, 7) times—22 (22, 26) sts.
- Next row (RS): K1, k2tog across, end with k1—12 (12, 14)
- Purl next row.
- Next row (RS): K2tog across.
- Bind off sts purlwise.
- Block pieces to measurements. Sew shoulder seams. Set in Sleeves; sew sleeve and side seams.
- Button Band
- With RS facing, using smaller needles, pick up and k 58 (66, 74) sts along Left Front edge.
- Knit 3 rows.
- Work in k2, p2 rib for 4 rows.
- Knit 3 rows
- Bind off sts knitwise.
- Buttonhole Band
- Place markers for 3 (3, 4) buttonholes on Right Front edge along smocked section, with first one 1/2" from neck edge. Work first 5 rows as for Button Band.
- Next row: *Work in pattern to marker, k2tog, yo; repeat from * for remaining buttonholes, work in pattern to end.
- Work remainder of band as for Button Band.
- Sew buttons to Button Band opposite buttonholes.
- With RS facing, using size 6 needles, pick up and k 52 (56, 60) sts around neck edge.
- Row 1: Knit
- Row 2: K3, purl across to last 3 sts, k3.
- Repeat Rows 1 and 2 a total of 3 (4, 5) times.
- Next row: Knit, increasing 10 (10 12) sts evenly across row.
- With size 7 needles, bind off sts knitwise.
- Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Our knitting group was asked to try to think of a creative green use for plastic grocery bags thus, 'Plarn was born. Plarn, plastic… Continue reading: "How to Make Plarn, Plastic Bag Yarn Knit Tote Patternvideocam"
- 59 Free Baby Knitting Patterns
- Baby Knit Kimono
- Baby Hoodie Knitting Pattern
- Ribs All Around Baby Jacket and Bonnet
- Cable and Blocks Baby Sweater and Hat
- Garter Stitch Jacket and Hat Knitting Pattern for Baby
- 25 Knitting Patterns for Baby Clothes
- Baby Layette Knitting Pattern
- Soft Knit Baby Hoodie
- Baby Poncho Knitting Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Monogram Resin Keychain
- Elastic Waist Linen Shorts Free Sewing Pattern
- 7 Easy Hair Mask Recipes
- Macrame Light Pendant
- Diy Washable Duster Cloths
- Kat Williams - Editorial Intern
- Easy Epoxy Resin Jewelry
- Country Spice Beanie
- Rainbow Resin Coasters
- Easy Cable Coffee Cosy
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home