We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
A hooded poncho for the new baby is easy with this baby poncho knitting pattern from Bernat Yarns . The colorful poncho closes with a sweet button at the neck. For 6-24 month babies, you only need 2 balls of yarn.
- Yarn: Bernat Baby Coordinates (160 g/5.6 oz), 6 mos–12 mos–18 mos–24 mos, 2–2–2–2 balls
- Knitting Needles: Sizes 3.75 mm (U.S. 5) and 4 mm (U.S. 6) or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 1 button.
Gauge: 22 sts and 30 rows = 4 ins 10 cm with larger needles in stocking st.
Sizes: To fit chest measurement
6 mos 17 ins (43 cm)
12 mos 19 ins (48 cm)
18 mos 21 ins (53.5 cm)
24 mos 21½ ins (54.5 cm)
The instructions are written for smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes the instructions will be written thus ( ).
FRONT: With smaller needles, cast on 95 (105-115-125) sts.
Knit 5 rows, noting first row is WS and inc 10 sts evenly across last row. 105 (115-125-135) sts.
Change to larger needles and proceed in pat as follows:
1st row: (RS). K5. P5. K5. Rep from to end of row.
2nd row: K5. Purl to last 5 sts. K5.
3rd and 4th rows: As 1st and 2nd rows.
5th and 6th rows: As 1st row.
7th and 9th rows: Knit.
8th and 10th rows: As 1st row.
These 10 rows form Check Pat.
Cont in Check Pat until work from beg measures 9 (10-11-12) ins 23 (25.5-28-30.5) cm, ending with RS facing for next row.
Divide for front opening: Next row: Pat 52 (57-62-67) sts. Turn. Leave rem sts on a spare needle.
Next row: K2. Pat to end of row.
Next row: Work even in pat.
Rep last 2 rows until work from beg measures 11 (12-13-14) ins 28 (30.5-33-35.5) cm, ending with WS facing for next row.
Neck shaping: Next row: Cast off 6 (6-7-7) sts. Pat to end of row. 46 (51-55-60) sts.
Dec 1 st at neck edge on next and following alt rows to 41 (46-49-54) sts.
Cont even in pat until work from beg measures 13 (14-15-16) ins 33 (35.5-38-40.5) cm, ending with WS facing for next row. Leave all sts on a spare needle. With RS of work facing, join yarn to rem sts. Sl1. K1. psso. Pat to end of row. 52 (57-62-67) sts.
Work Right Side to correspond to Left Side, reversing all shapings.
BACK: Joining row: K5. Pat to end of row. Cast on 23 (23-27-27) sts. Pat across next 36 (41-44-49) sts from spare needle. K5. 105 (115-125-135) sts.
Cont even in pat, until work from joining row measures 5 rows less than Front, ending on a 1st or 5th row of pat and dec 10 sts evenly across last row. 95 (105-115-125) sts.
Change to smaller needles and knit 4 rows. Cast off knitwise (WS).
HOOD: With smaller needles, cast on 89 (89-97-97) sts.
Knit 5 rows (noting first row is WS) and inc 6 (6-8-8) sts evenly across last row. 95 (95-105-105) sts.
Change to larger needles and proceed in pat as given for Front dec 1 st each end of needle on 5th and following alt rows until there are 75 (75-81-81) sts.
Cont even in pat until work from beg measures 6½ (7-7½-8) ins 16.5 (18-19-20.5) cm, ending with RS facing for next row.
Shape back seam: Cast off 7 sts beg next 8 rows. Cast off rem 19 (19-25-25) sts.
FINISHING: Fold Hood in half at back and sew back seam. Sew shaped edge of Hood to neck opening, beg at front opening edge and matching back seam of Hood to center back neck edge.
Button loop: With smaller needles, cast on 16 sts. Cast off. Fold loop in half and sew in position. Sew button to correspond to loop.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Cupcake liner crafts can be some of the prettiest projects out there, and this wreath is no exception. Create a stunning cupcake liner… Continue reading: "Faux Flower Cupcake Liner Wreath"
- 59 Free Baby Knitting Patterns
- Baby Hoodie Knitting Pattern
- 25 Knitting Patterns for Baby Clothes
- Baby Layette Knitting Pattern
- Pom Pom Knit Baby Jacket
- Soft Knit Baby Hoodie
- Ribs All Around Baby Jacket and Bonnet
- Cable and Blocks Baby Sweater and Hat
- Baby Knit Kimono
- Soft and Cuddly Huggable Hoodie
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Scrap Fabric Butterflies
- Petite Floral Dreamcatcher Boho Wall Hanging Decor
- Baby Girl Classic Lace Vintage Bonnet Hat
- Bunny Rabbit Strawberry Cupcake Food Dessert Amigurumi
- Cute Baby And Toddler Hooded Bunny Capelet
- Baby Girl Meadow Cardigan Dress
- Kitty Cat Macaron French Dessert Amigurumi
- Baby's Buttoned Turban Hat
- Velvet Baby Turban Hat With Bow
- Ribbed Baby Turban Hat With Bow
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home