Democratic Donkey Scrubby
Choose your side: Show your political allegiance with this easy crochet pattern.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
You've never seen anything like this before! Now you can enjoy showing your party affiliation with this clever Democratic Donkey Scrubby. This easy crochet pattern features true American colors in royal blue, coconut white, and cheery red.
If you or a friend or family member supports the Democratic Party, you'll get a kick out of this donkey. Kitchen crochet projects like this pot scrubber are easy to make and very useful for cleaning dirty dishes and scrubbing stubborn food off of pots and pans. Free crochet patterns like this make great gifts for the political enthusiasts in your life. An elephant scrubby is also available for members of the Republican Party.
1. To change color, work last stitch of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete stitch. Proceed with new color. Cut old color.
2. You may prefer to work over tails to minimize weaving in ends.
sc2tog = [Insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop] twice, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
Join with sc = Place a slip knot on hook, insert hook in indicated stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through both loops on hook.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
Finished SizeScrubby measures 7” (18 cm) from back to head x 6-1/2” (16.5 cm) long.
- 1 Ball Red Heart Scrubby Yarn - 870 Royal [A]
- 1 Ball Red Heart Scrubby Yarn - 10 Coconut [B]
- 1 Ball Red Heart Scrubby Yarn - 905 Cherry [C]
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 5mm [US H-8]
- Yarn Needle
- 2 Stitch Markers
- Sewing Needle
- White Thread
Instructions for Democratic Donkey Scrubby
Head and Body
With A, ch 4.
Row 1 (wrong side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, turn — 3 sc.
Rows 2-4: Ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc in each st across to last st, 2 sc in last st, turn — 9 sc.
Row 5: Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn.
Row 6: Repeat Row 5.
Row 7: Ch 1, sc in each st across to last st, 2 sc in last st, turn — 10 sc.
Row 8: Ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc in each remaining st, turn — 11 sc.
Rows 9 and 10: Repeat Rows 7 and 8 — 13 sc. Place marker on 6th st for edge of neck.
Row 11: Ch 12, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 9 ch, 2 sc in last ch; leave remaining sts unworked, turn — 12 sc.
Row 12: Repeat Row 8 — 13 sc.
Rows 13 and 14: Repeat Rows 7 and 8 — 15 sc.
Rows 15-19: Repeat Row 5; change to B at end of Row 19. Place marker on end of Row 17.
Rows 20-23: Repeat Row 5; change to C at end of Row 23.
Rows 24-27: Repeat Row 5. Do not fasten off.
Row 1: Ch 1, sc in first 4 sts; leave remaining sts unworked, turn — 4 sc.
Rows 2-4: Repeat Row 5. Fasten off.
Row 1: With wrong side of body facing, skip first 7 unworked sts, join C with sc in next st, sc in last 3 sts, turn — 4 sc.
Rows 2-4: Repeat Row 5. Fasten off.
Holding marked sts together, sew neck seam to tilt head.
1. With right side facing, join A with slip st in first st of Row 11 (at back end of Donkey), [ch 15, slip st in same st as join] twice, sc in each st across to neck seam, ch 8, slip st in last st made (hanging loop made).
2. Working in ends of rows, sc in each row up first side of head, *ch 5, slip st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, hdc in next ch, dc in last ch (ear made)*, skip first st of Row 1, 2 sc in opposite side of foundation ch of next st.
3. Repeat from * to * once, skip last st.
4. Working in ends of rows, sc in each row down other side of head to Row 10, 3 sc in Row 10; sc in each remaining st and end of row around, working 3 sc in outer corners of legs.
5. Join with slip st in first slip st. Fasten off.
Star (make 3)
With B, ch 2.
Round 1: Work 5 sc in 2nd ch from hook, do not join — 5 sc.
Round 2: *Slip st in next sc, ch 2, sc in 2nd ch from hook; repeat from * 4 times, join with slip st in first slip st. Fasten off.
1. Weave in ends.
2. With sewing needle and white thread, sew stars in place on Upper Body.
- A, B, C
- Color A, Color B, Color C, etc.
- double crochet
- half double crochet
- single crochet
- [ ]
- Work directions in brackets the number of times specified.
- Repeat whatever follows the * as indicated.
- [Insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop] twice, yarn over and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- Join with sc
- Place a slip knot on hook, insert hook in indicated stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through both loops on hook.
For more patriotic crafts, take a look at these 13 Memorial Day Crafts and a Short History of Memorial Day
Please comment and let us know:
Would you rather make a donkey scrubby or an elephant scrubby?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Symbiosis Corner to Corner Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- 23 Free Crochet Dishcloth Patterns for Beginners
- Crochet Stash Baskets
- Granny Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Simple Border Pot Holder and Dishcloth
- Mop or Sweeper Cover Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Doily in Pineapple Pattern
- Easy Ombre Dishcloth
- Up and Down Crochet Dishcloth
- Granny's Square Dishcloth
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Rainbow Bunting
- How To Sew A Face Mask
- Sunset Blanket
- Spring Wall Hanging
- Tips For Coloring Eggs With Toddlers
- Glitzy Easter Egg Will Spark A Smile
- How To Make A Kid's Apron From A Man's Shirt Sleeve
- Skylar Ribbed Singlet
- Plastic Bottle Planter
- Mermaid Slime
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home