Visions of Violets Mobile
Set the mood for a whimsical romantic nursery with this Visions of Violets Mobile from Catherine Haley. Made with faux flowers and floral stems, this modern baby mobile is perfect for a little girl's room. Give it as a gift for something that's unique and beautiful!
- One long flexible floral stem with leaves/branches
- 2-4 floral stems with several flowers each in the color scheme of your choice (this is up to your creativity- you can use as many flower types, colors, etc. as you choose!)
- Floral tape, wire, or "vine" (I used the faux flexible vine)
- Clear elastic jewelry thread (use a thick gauge for durability!)
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Tiny metal hook for hanging
- Take the long leafy/branchy stem and wind it into a circle. Mine is about 12" in diameter but make it the size you think looks best for your space.
- I bent some of the leaves the opposite direction so they were all over.
- Use your floral tape or vine and wrap it around to firmly attach the ends. Be sure that the circle will not be coming apart!
- Prepare your flowers. Pop off some individual flowers and some groups of flowers (it might depend on the types you bought). The point is to try and get some variety in how they are grouped. Use the glue gun to be sure all the flower parts are reinforced. Faux flowers can pop off into tiny pieces that could be a choking hazard so this step is VERY important both for durability and safety. It takes some time, but is well worth it!
- Decorate the circle with flowers from all angles- you want the mobile to look pretty from the baby's view, not the top! The sides should be pretty too since you will see that in the room...but mainly keep in mind the baby's view. Try not to follow a regular pattern, this needs to be very organic looking! Don't be shy with the glue! Have fun arranging your flowers in random places.
- Begin attaching the hanging parts. I put a drop of hot glue on the end of the clear elastic thread, then inserted it into the hole at the base of the flowers. Some of the blue ones in clumps didn't have a hole, so I glued the thread to the side (about 3/4" of it for durability). Vary the lengths of the thread so the flowers hang randomly!
- Tie the elastic threads to the circle and glue well. Again, you don't want this to be too uniform- space them out differently and be sure that there are a variety of flowers- colors, single flowers, bunches of flowers, etc. It's best to lay them out ahead of time to plan.
- Glue the knot, but be careful not to melt through the plastic! These knots will not hold well without the glue.
- After all of your flowers are attached the way you like it, attach four equal lengths of the elastic thread to the top of the circle and knot at the top. Then screw a hook into the ceiling and hang the mobile on the hook!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Kids Room"
Decorating ideas for a child's bedroom