Joy Pottery Magnet
Spread a little joy any time of year. This project uses broken pottery that you would otherwise throw away. Instead, try repurposing items from home and create your own Joy Pottery Magnet from Candace Jedrowicz. This quick and easy craft makes a great gift.
- Aleene’s Clear Gel Tacky Glue
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- Broken pottery pieces
- 20 Gauge wire – 10″
- Micro beads – I combine all my colors for a fabulous confetti look
- Double wheeled tile cutter
- Jewelry tools – round and chain nosed pliers and cutters
- Sand paper – 600 grit or higher
- I just love the double wheeled tile cutters that Eco Heidi Borchers turned us on to! They make cutting the pottery very easy. Cut your pottery piece into the desired shape. I went with a squarish shape. Sand all the edges so there are no sharp edges.
- As you begin to shape your wire word, make sure that it will fit well within your pottery piece.You can start with the last letter or the first. In this demo I show the former. Recheck the fit with every bend.
- Try to keep the letters in proportion. For sharp bends, crimp the wire with the chain nosed pliers.
- Here you can see that the word stays inside the frame of the pottery piece.This will give your edge treatment plenty of room.
- Spread a small amount of Aleene’s Clear Gel Tacky Glue on one edge at a time. Dip the glue edge in micro beads.Repeat on the remaining three sides.
- Allow to dry.
- Decide how you want to orient your word.Note: You don’t have to make your own word. Use whatever ready-made word that works for you.
- Fill the surface with Aleene’s Clear Gel Tacky Glue.
- Carefully place your word on the surface and use a tool to gently push the word into the glue. Allow to dry.
- Glue a magnet on the back with Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue.
- Complete your gift with an origami box. Follow this tutorialto make your box. I used stringy yarn and a faux pearl from my grandma’s broken jewelry collection to decorate the top.
For a comprehensive video tutorial, check out How to Make a Broken Pottery Joy Magnet.
Read NextAngel Gift Cans
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use
Thank You for Signing Up!
There was an issue signing you up. Please check your email address, and try again.