Rustic Burlap Tablecloth
Add some hospitality and warmth to your dinner table with the Rustic Burlap Tablecloth. This easy painting craft includes a bit of sewing, but it is great for beginners to try out. Burlap has been the defining material for rustic charm and fall decor ideas, yet this project adds some chic embellishments that will have dinner guests in awe. You can use this DIY tablecloth all year if your decor stays rustic and it is especially festive for Thanksgiving dinner. Who knew burlap could be so trendy?
- FolkArt ® Acrylic Colors - Pueblo, 2 oz.
- FolkArt ® Painting Stencils - Large - Bird
- Stencil Decor ® Brushes - Stencil Brush, 5/8"
- Pre-washed 1/2 yard linen
- Burlap to desired tablecloth dimensions
- 1/2 yard of accent fabric
- 1/2 yard of printed burlap
- Repositionable adhesive
- Embroidery floss
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Ball jars for candle holders
- Spray repositionable adhesive on the back of the stencil and press onto linen.
- Place a small amount of paint onto a pallet. Dip your stencil brush into the paint. Spread it around in a circle on a fresh space so that the paint is evenly distributed on the bristles. Blot the end of your brush on a paper towel to remove excess paint.
- Dab the paint onto the area you are stenciling. Let the paint dry and repeat for a second coat.
- Allow the paint to dry before peeling the stencil from the fabric and place on a new section of linen. Repeat making 4 bird stenciled pieces.
- Pull burlap strands from the edges of the tablecloth to create a fringed edge.
- Cut around the stenciled bird pieces leaving a 1” to 2” border for stitching.
- Pin the bird pieces to the corners of the burlap tablecloth.
- Cut an 18” piece of floss, thread your needle and tie a knot at one end of the thread.
- Starting on the backside, stitch the bird piece to the burlap with a running stitch around the border of the linen. Optionally, you can pick threads on the edge of the linen to make it more rustic.
- To make the corner tassels, cut 4, 1” x 12” strips of fabric from the accent fabrics. Pull the strips through your hand to make the edges raggedy.
- Cut a small slit in the corner of the burlap and thread the 4 pieces of fabric through. Bring the ends together so they meet. Tie a small piece of fabric towards the top of the tassel to secure it to the cloth and hot glue a button over the tie. Optionally, you can cut the tails of the tassel pieces in half so it has extra fringe. Repeat on all the corners of the tablecloth
- If you have extra fabric, you can cut an accent square for the center of the tablecloth. Finish the edge with a running stitch.
Tip: The secret to successful stenciling is having a very small amount of paint on your brush while you dab the paint into place.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Decorating Ideas"
Find hundreds of free decorative craft ideas. These are some clever ideas for DIY home decor! Decorate your house for less with home decor craft projects like bedroom decor craft projects, office ideas, and more.
Sign Up for Free Crafts
There are no records