Beginner Granny Stitch Hat Pattern
Kick up your feet and start chaining this easy granny stitch crochet pattern.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
The Beginner Granny Stitch Hat Pattern is a staple for crocheters of all skill levels. Beginners will be introduced to the versatile granny stitch. The more advanced crocheters, on the other hand, can relax with a mindless pattern while getting a super cute accessory (or cozy, homemade Christmas gift for someone on your list) out of it. We fell in love with this easy crochet hat pattern the first time we saw it. It's beautiful, stylish, and uses the granny stitch to create a winter essential that is comfy, cozy, and eye-catching. That's not even the best part. Made with jumbo weight yarn, this just might be the quickest hat you crochet to date.
Yarn Weight(7) Jumbo
Crochet Gauge6 dc = 4½” (11.5 cm); 4 rows = 4″ (10 cm)
Finished SizeHat measures 20 (22½)” [51 (57) cm] circumference at brim.
- RED HEART® Grande™: 1 ball each of 3927 Chianti A and 941 Barley B
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 11.5mm [US P-16]
- Yarn needle
Adjustable-ring method = Wrap yarn into a ring, ensuring that the tail falls behind the working yarn. Grip ring and tail firmly between middle finger and thumb. Insert hook through center of ring, yarn over (with working yarn) and draw up a loop. Work stitches of first round in ring, working over both strands (the tail and the ring). After the first round of stitches is worked, pull gently, but firmly, on tail to tighten ring.
- The Beginner Granny Stitch Hat Pattern is worked in joined rounds with right side facing.
- To change color, work last stitch of old color to last yarn over. Yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete stitch. Proceed with new color. Cut old color.
Directions for this easy crochet hat pattern are for size Small. Any changes for size Large are in parentheses.
With A, make an adjustable ring.
Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), 8 (9) dc in ring; join with slip st in top of beginning ch—9 (10) dc. Pull gently on tail to close ring.
Round 2: Ch 3, dc in same st as join, 2 dc in each dc around; join with slip st in top of beginning ch—18 (20) dc.
Round 3: Ch 3, 2 dc in next dc, *dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc; repeat from * around; join with slip st in top of beginning ch; change to B—27 (30) dc.
Size Small Only:
Round 4: Ch 3, dc in same st as join, skip next dc, *2 dc in next dc, skip next dc; repeat from * around to last dc, dc in last dc; join with slip st in top of beginning ch—13 two-dc groups and 1 dc.
Rounds 5 and 6: Slip st in next dc, slip st in space before next 2-dc group, ch 3, dc in same space, *2 dc in next space between 2-dc groups; repeat from * 11 times, 2 dc in space before last dc, dc in space between last dc and beginning ch; join with slip st in top of beginning ch.
Round 7: Slip st in next dc; change to A, slip st in space before next 2-dc group, ch 3, dc in same space, *2 dc in next space between 2-dc groups; repeat from * 11 times, 2 dc in space before last dc, dc in space between last dc and beginning ch; join with slip st in top of beginning ch. Fasten off.
Size Large Only:
Round 4: Ch 3, dc in same st as join, skip next dc, *2 dc in next dc, skip next dc; repeat from * around; join with slip st in top of beginning ch—15 two-2 dc groups.
Rounds 5–7: Slip st in next dc, slip st in space before next 2-dc group, ch 3, dc in same space, 2 dc in each space between 2-dc groups around; join with slip st in top of beginning ch.
Round 8: Slip st in next dc; change to A, slip st in space before next 2-dc group, ch 3, dc in same space, 2 dc in each space between 2-dc groups around; join with slip st in top of beginning ch. Fasten off.
Weave in all ends.
- A, B
- Color A, Color B
- double crochet
- repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
Ready for more crochet hats? Create a cozy hat for babies, adults, and everyone else in between with 48 Free Crochet Hat Patterns
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Make your own chandelier for only a few bucks using this tutorial from Heather Mann! The Dollar Store DIY Beaded Chandelier looks like… Continue reading: "Dollar Store DIY Beaded Chandelier"
- 50+ Crochet Patterns & Beginner Help
- Aspen Knit-Look Slouch Hat
- 48 Free Crochet Hat Patterns
- 7 Free Chemo Hat Patterns
- 31+ Cute Crochet Patterns for Babies
- Crochet Newsboy Hat Pattern
- A Chemo Cap to Crochet
- Great Gatsby Crochet Cloche Hat Pattern
- Blue Beret Crochet Beanie Pattern
- 18 Free Crochet Hat Patterns For Men
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Recessed Zippers-how To Take Away The Pain
- How To Make A Zipper Box Pocket In A Bag
- How Do I Sew That- Boxed Corners On A Bag
- Water Bottle Carrier Bag
- Crochet Mini Treat Bags
- Elastic Waist Skirt Pattern
- Basketweave Stitch (one Row Repeat) | Crafting Happiness
- Printable Father's Day Card
- The Perfect Father's Day Gift From Trash To Treasure
- Puff Rainbow Earrings
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home