Baby Santa Hat Crochet Pattern
Christmas hats for babies have never been more adorable.
Celebrate baby's first Christmas with this Baby Santa Hat pattern. Able to fit babies up to 6 months old, this sweet crocheted hat is the perfect way to celebrate Baby's first Christmas.
Easy to make and cozy, this crochet baby Santa hat is also the perfect addition to your family photos at Christmastime.
Get started on this adorable crocheted Santa hat today so it's ready to use when December rolls around! When your baby outgrows the hat, you could use it to top a mini Christmas tree or wrap up a gift inside the hat...you could even turn it into an adorable hat for a little dog or cat!
Crochet HookI/9 or 5.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeIn single crochet, 16 sts and 16 rounds = 4"/10 cm, using MC
Finished SizeOne size to fit baby size newborn to 6 months. Hat measures approximately 12"/30.5 cm in circumference by 7 1/2″/19 cm long
- 1 skein Caron International's Simply Soft (100% acrylic; 6 oz/170 g, 315 yds/288 m skein) yarn in Red (MC)
- 1 skein Caron International's Bliss (60% acrylic, 40% nylon; 1.76 oz/50 g, 82 yds/75 m ball) yarn in Snow (CC)
- US I/9 (5.5 mm), crochet hook or size to obtain gauge
- Split ring stitch marker, or piece of contrasting yarn
- Yarn needle
- Pompon Maker, or 1″ piece of cardboard (optional)
Hat is worked from top down in continuous rounds, without joining.
Place a marker (pm) for beginning of round; move marker up each round.
Each increase row adds 6 sts to the circumference; for a larger hat, work 1 (2) additional increase rows for a hat that measures approximately 13 1/2 (15)" in circumference—54 (60) sc.
Using MC, chain 2.
Round 1: Work 6 sc in second ch from hook—6 sc.
Round 2: Pm for beginning of round; work 2 sc in each sc around—12 sc.
Rounds 3 and 4: Work even, (sc in each sc around).
Round 5: * Sc in next sc, work 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around—18 sc.
Rounds 6 and 7: Work even.
Round 8: * Sc in next 2 sc, work 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around—24 sc.
Rounds 9 and 10: Work even.
Round 11: * Sc in next 3 sc, work 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around—30 sc.
Rounds 12 – 15: Work even.
Round 16: * Sc in next 4 sc, work 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around—36 sc.
Rounds 17 – 19: Work even.
Round 20: * Sc in next 5 sc, work 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around—42 sc.
Rounds 21 and 22: Work even.
Round 23: * Sc in next 6 sc, work 2 sc in next sc; repeat from * around—48 sc.
Round 24 – 26: Work even.
Fasten off MC; join CC with slip st in any sc.
Rounds 27 – 30: Continuing in sc, work even.
After working Round 30, join with a slip st to first st.
Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
Using Pompon maker or a piece of cardboard and CC, make a 1" pompon. Attach pompon to point at top of Hat, then bring pompon forward, bending tip of Hat.
Using yarn needle threaded with MC, sew point of Hat to Round 10.
- Chain (ch)
- Begin by making a slip knot on your hook. * Wrap the yarn around the hook (yarn over) and pull up a loop, [draw the yarn through the loop on the hook to form the first chain]. Repeat from * for number of chains required. Note: The loop on the hook is not included when counting the number of chains.
- Single crochet (sc)
- Insert hook in stitch indicated, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through both loops on hook.
- Slip stitch (slip st)
- Insert hook in the stitch indicated, yarn over and draw through both the stitch and the loop on the hook.
This hat is great for Christmas, but what about the rest of winter? Explore our complete collection of48 Free Crochet Hat Patterns
How will you celebrate baby's first Christmas?
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
More from "Hats"
If you're looking for crochet hat patterns, free beanie patterns and more, this is a great list of projects to test out. Make one for yourself and another for someone you love.