Simply Savvy Crochet Ruana Pattern
Add lovely layers to your cold weather wears when you learn how to crochet this shawl and sweater hybrid pattern.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Wrap yourself up this winter in this cuddly and warm free crochet ruana pattern. This comfy crochet shawl and sweater hybrid will quickly become a comfortable party of your winter wardrobe. Complete with instructions for adding an extra comfy and cute collar, this free crochet pattern is essential for winter adventures. Whether you’re just out for a stroll on a brisk fall day or taking a long weekend out in the country while leaf peeping, this charming pattern will add lovely layers to your day. This example is crocheted in a darling grey, but you could easily crochet it in just about any color.
Crochet HookM/13 or 9 mm hook
Yarn Weight(7) Jumbo
Crochet Gauge8 sts = 4” [10 cm]; 7½ rows = 4” [10 cm] in (sc, ch 1) pattern worked with A. 5 sts = 4” [10 cm]; 2 rows = ” [10 cm] in double crochet (dc) worked with B.
Finished Size36” wide x 60” long [91.5 x 152.5 cm].
- RED HEART® Stellar™: 9932 Universe A - 10 balls
- RED HEART® Boutique Fur™: 9406 Smoke B - 2 balls
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 9mm [US M-13]
- Yarn Needle
If you are brand new to crochet, check out our list of beginner projects and helpful hints, 50+ Free Easy Crochet Patterns and Help for Beginners
Crochet Ruana Pattern
Ruana is made from two identical rectangles and a collar.
Rectangles are sewn together for back seam.
Collar is made separately and sewn to neck edge.
Refer to the chart below for dimensions and guidance while crocheting.
RECTANGLE (make 2)
With A, ch 122.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, *ch 1, skip next ch, sc in next ch; repeat from * to last ch, sc in last ch—62 sc and 59 ch-1 spaces.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in first sc, *ch 1, skip next sc, sc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * to last 2 sc, ch 1, skip next sc, sc in last sc—61 sc and 60 ch-1 spaces.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc in first sc, sc in next ch-1 space, *ch 1, skip next sc, sc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * to last sc, sc in last sc—62 sc and 59 ch-1 spaces.
Rows 4–33: Repeat Rows 2 and 3 fifteen times.
Row 34: Repeat Row 2.
With B, ch 4.
Row 1: Work 2 dc in 4th ch from hook (3 skipped ch count as first dc)—3 dc.
Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), turn, dc in first 2 dc, 2 dc in top of beginning ch—5 dc.
Rows 3–12: Ch 3, turn, dc in next 3 dc, dc in top of beginning ch.
Row 13: Ch 3, turn, dc2tog over next 2 dc, dc2tog over next dc and top of beginning ch—3 dc.
Row 14: Ch 3, turn, dc2tog over next dc and top of beginning ch—2 dc.
Lay both rectangles side by side on a flat surface with long edges together at center. Beginning at one short end of rectangles, sew rectangles together for about one-half of the length for back seam. Fold collar in half to find center point. Sew center point of one long edge of collar to seam between the two rectangles. Sew remainder of same long edge of collar to edges of rectangles (neck edge).
Weave in ends.
- (double crochet 2 stitches together) = [Yarn over, insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up loop, yarn over, draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- A and B
- Color A and Color B
- double crochet
- single crochet
- repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
Find more warm and cuddly cold weather crochet patterns in our collection of 37 Free Crochet Poncho Patterns and Capelets
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Images from other crafters
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Cupcake liner crafts can be some of the prettiest projects out there, and this wreath is no exception. Create a stunning cupcake liner… Continue reading: "Faux Flower Cupcake Liner Wreath"
- Crochet Pineapple Prayer Shawl Pattern
- Sunset on Fire Crochet Shawl Pattern
- Sidewalk Shawl Crochet Pattern
- Sweet Cake Crochet Shawl Pattern
- The Fastest, Easiest Crochet Poncho Pattern Ever
- Sage One Skein Wrap
- Pineapple Lace Shawl Crochet Pattern
- Casual Chunky Sweatshirt
- Simply Savvy Crochet Ruana Pattern
- Perfectly Panache Chic Poncho
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Scrap Fabric Butterflies
- Petite Floral Dreamcatcher Boho Wall Hanging Decor
- Baby Girl Classic Lace Vintage Bonnet Hat
- Bunny Rabbit Strawberry Cupcake Food Dessert Amigurumi
- Cute Baby And Toddler Hooded Bunny Capelet
- Baby Girl Meadow Cardigan Dress
- Kitty Cat Macaron French Dessert Amigurumi
- Baby's Buttoned Turban Hat
- Velvet Baby Turban Hat With Bow
- Ribbed Baby Turban Hat With Bow
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home