Big Fat Faux Wedding Cake Centerpiece
If you're looking for bridal shower craft ideas, look no further than this faux wedding cake centerpiece from Carolyn Wainscott. This centerpiece is made to look like a wedding cake, and it would be the perfect addition to a wedding shower.
- Hot glue gun
- 18" long plastic canvas cut 7" wide
- bottom tier- 3 pieces, middle tier- 2 pieces, top tier- 1 piece
- Cardboard or foam core board
- 6 inch circle, 12 inch circle, 19 inch circle, 25 inch circle
- Felt circles to cover cardboard-add 1" all around to each felt circle
- Notch the added 1" all around each circle
- Cut another felt circle for 25 inch circle the same size as cardboard for bottom of 25” base
- 7" wide felt strips for sides of tiers:
- 7" by 20" for top tier, 7" by 38" for middle tier, 7" by 60" for bottom tier
- Paper towel core, 10" by 12" satin rectangle to cover
- Craft doll, 8" by 12" satin rectangle for gown
- Silk florals
- Corsage pins
- Tulle: precut skeins or by the yard
- Beads, beads & trims by the yard
- Satin [or other fabric of choice] circles- 8” notched 1” all around for 6” cardboard circle, 14” notched 1”
- All around for 12” cardboard circle, 21” notched 1” all around for 19” cardboard circle, 27” notched 1”
- All around for 25” cardboard base
- Lace [optional]
- Construct 3 tiers of wedding cake: wire 3 pieces of 7” by 18” plastic canvas end to end, 2 pieces for middle layer, 1 piece for top layer.
- Hot glue cardboard circles to tops of tiers.
- Glue notched felt circles onto cardboard.
- Glue 7” wide felt strips onto sides of tiers.
- Place satin circles over felt, pleat as shown in video.
- Press pleats.
- Pin with corsage pins.
- For base: glue layer of notched felt curling notches around to back of cardboard, cover with notched satin over felt.
- Glue satin onto cardboard tube.
- For doll: turn under short edge of satin rectangle, glue or stitch onto doll. Embellish as desired. Glue or stitch beads or lace to arms for sleeves if desired.
- For bouquet: cut small piece of plastic canvas, arrange florals-glue, glue and wind lace onto flower stems, tie bow.
- For veil: cut 1/4” wide strip plastic canvas to go around head. Glue beads on. Pull length of tulle through.
- Place doll into cardboard tube. Put into top tier. Stack and assemble all components.
Your Big Fat Faux Wedding Cake is done!
Variations: For lace gown-gather 7” wide lace, glue beads onto gathered edge [optional] for each tier. Cascade wired ribbon around cake, attaching silk florals, beads, etc.