Flying Girl Paper Art
Whimsical 11 x 14 folk art piece made from recycled paper, beads and floss from Arnold Grummer's Paper Making Kits and Supplies. Think of it as paper applique!
- Arnold Grummer's Paper Additive
- Arnold Grummer's Fun With The Papermill Vol l
- Arnold Grummer's Guide To Easy Paper Making
- Arnold Grummer's Papermill PRO Envelope & Stationery Kit
- Color fast paper to recycle (available in the art supply section of many stores)
- Beads, buttons, floss
- Scissors, glue
Click here to see image larger.
- Click here to see a diagram and layout of the pieces for this project.
- For background paper (8 1/2" x 11"): Recycle purple and blue wastepaper. Pour blended pulps into handmold or vat, gently swirling them to meet before pulling sheet to create two-color background. Watch 'Adding Color in the Deckle' on the video, or read Arnold Grummer's book to learn more about this technique if interested.
- Air dry background paper to achieve a heavily textured sheet.
- Recycle and air dry additional sheets in pink, yellow and brown for other parts of this collage, or use leftovers from other projects.
- Using the layout as a guide, cut pieces from handmade paper for girl's dress, face and feet.
- Cut pieces for moon, flower and hearts, or use paper punches.
- Layer cutouts onto the background.
- Use bead, button and floss embellishments to create decorative details.
- Use pink and red markers for polka dots on the girl's dress.
- Mount assembled collage on a 11" x 14" matboard. Use a black fine tip marker to write 'Love makes the world go round' border around the collage.
- Use a standard 11" x 14" premade frame available at many craft stores to frame and hang the finished project.
- Tip: For a longer lasting art piece, recycle color fast paper to create a piece that won't fade over time. Use Arnold Grummer's Paper Additive to make the piece acid free. Hang or display out of direct sunlight.
Read NextAltered Book Tips and Inspiration
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Feb 09, 2013
Thanks for describing the technique I am always eager to do paper art I will definitely try this one. wedding cards
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Join our community of 5 million crafters!
- Get free craft projects, exclusive partner offers, and more.
- Information Use