Sweetheart Cherries Heels & Purse
Learn how to paint cherries with this lovely fabric painting idea.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Learn how to paint cherries and design your very own purse and shoes. With this Sweetheart Cherries Heels and Purse tutorial, you'll make the loveliest matching accessory set for a day out! Style your outfit for the day entirely around this purse and these shoes. Embrace a 50s flair when you pair the accessories with bold colors and a retro hairdo. Painting cherries and bows is easier than you think. If you don't consider yourself an artist, don't worry! The step-by-step instructions in this painting tutorial make it easy for painters of all skill levels to create this project. Discover what kind of paint to use on shoes, and make adorable new accessories today.
Learn more about DecoArt Stylin' Paint here, and enter to win a full set for FREE: DecoArt Stylin Paint
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Project TypeMake a Project
- DecoArt® Stylin™ In Red, Black, Fuchsia, White, Yellow, and Green
- Dynasty Brushes:
- #4 Round, Black Gold Series
- #6 Round, Black Gold Series
- 10/0 Liner, Black Gold Series
- 1/2 Angled Shader, Black Gold Series
- #6 Flat, Black Gold Series
- Dynasty Stencil Pro Synthetic 1/2 Stencil Brush
- 3 Pc Polka Dot Stencil Set
- 1 Pair Ladies Shoes
- Soft Cloth
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Nail Brush
Clean the shoes and the handbag thoroughly: The shoes with the nail brush first to remove any loose dirt and then wipe them down with a damp cloth. The heels, wipe with alcohol to remove any oils. Use the alcohol to wipe the handbag down thoroughly and let them dry well.
Apply two light coats to the heels, taking care to ensure that the crevice between the heel and the shoe upper is painted as well as the edge of the sole. Let each coat dry well prior to re-coating.
Trace one of the cherries onto a small piece of tracing paper, and then using white graphite paper, trace the cherry onto the shoe upper. Repeat this, alternating the position of the cherry to gradually fill the space. Trace the small bow, and repeat this on the upper back of each shoe.
Use the largest polka dot stencil to add a few dots randomly around the shoe uppers, allowing them to fill the gaps between the cherries. Use them sparingly, to avoid them becoming too busy.
Stencil the dots with the 3/8” stencil using the White Stylin™ paint and the stencil brush. Apply them randomly.
Trace and transfer the design to the handbag using white graphite paper.
Base each of the cherries and the bows with White first; let it dry well.
Apply a generous coat of the Fuchsia to both the bows and the cherries. Let it dry.
The Bows: are shaded first with floats of thinned Red; pull the color out about 1/3 of the space and then float again, this time with thinned Black, when the Red is dry. (The Black float is smaller, about 1/2 the width of the Red.) Highlight the bows with floats of thinned Fuchsia and White mixed 1:1. Apply this highlight to the folds in the bows.
The Cherries: are shaded at the bottom with a float of Red (1/3 the depth of the cherry). This is shaded with a float of thinned Black (1/2 the width of the Red). The cherries are highlighted at the top with a float of Fuchsia and White mixed 1:1. There is a final highlight on one side with a small comma stroke of White.
The Leaves and Stems: base the leaves with White first and let it dry thoroughly. Apply a generous coat of Green. Mix Green and Yellow 1:1 to create a brighter lime green. Float this color to the tip of the leaves. Repeat until the color is bright. Use this color for the stem as well, stroking it in using the 10/0 liner.
The completed look!
Click each image to enlarge.
If you love this adorable project, be sure to check out over 30 projects made using the same paint! View 30+ Fashion Painting Ideas with DecoArt® Stylin™
Where would you wear this adorable accessory set?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Retro Florals Platforms and Collar Necklace
- Marching Through the Looking Glass
- Summer Vibes Tote & Sandals
- Butterfly Shoes & Purse
- How to Attach Patches Without Sewing
- Pumpkin Hooded Cowl
- 30+ Fashion Painting Ideas with DecoArt® Stylin™
- 33 Red Heart Patterns for Hats
- Cotton Tie Dye
- Fringed Crochet Denim Jacket Refashion
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Twinkle Twinkle Litttle Santa Star
- Arctic Gem Beanie
- Sloth Coffee Cozy
- Polar Puff Messy Bun Hat
- Super Quick Chunky Cowl
- Randy the Reindeer Cactus
- Striped Thicket Stitch Blanket
- Twisted Shells Ear Warmer
- Once in a Blue Moon Triangle Scarf/Shawl
- The Ava Cowl
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home