Get A Taste of Summer with Pineapple Ornaments
The fresh fruit of summer just makes my mouth water. Even in the winter you can be reminded of summer with these fabric-point pineapple ornaments. They're great for indoor or outdoor decorations.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- Ball, 4" or
- Egg, 4" (purple sample)
- Cotton fabrics, three different prints, 45" wide, 1/4 yd. each
- Grosgrain ribbon, color of choice, 5/8" x 1 yd.
- Anti-fray solution
- Fabric marker
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Rubber band
- Sequin pins
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Craft-foam glue
- Iron and ironing board
- Press fabric as needed. Measure and mark twenty 1-3/4" x 3" rectangles on wrong side of each fabric. Cut out. Note: Ornament will require 60-65 rectangles.
- Place one fabric strip, wrong side up, horizontally on work surface. Fold upper corners of rectangle down to meet at center bottom edge, forming 3" wide, 1-1/2" tall triangle. Press. Repeat for each fabric piece.
- Place rubber band around center of foam ball or egg. Use black marker to draw guideline along rubber band; remove band.
- Aligning long edges with guideline, pin triangles of one print around foam shape. Points of triangles should overlap very slightly. Using photo as guide, continue to pin rows of contrasting triangles around foam shape, above and below first group. Overlap raw edges, hiding sequin pins, to completely cover foam.
- Trim triangle points as needed. Follow manufacturer's instructions to apply anti-fray solution to points. Let dry.
- Apply small amount of craft-foam glue under each triangle, then mold ornament with hands to create smooth shape. Let dry.
- Cut two 12" and one 8" length from ribbon. Overlap and glue ends of 8" length, forming hanging loop. Use glue gun to adhere loop to top of ornament. Tie each remaining ribbon length into a bow. Glue bows on each side of hanging loop.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.