Ocean Vibe 3D Summer Cube
Go coastal with this summer decoration called the Ocean Vibe 3D Summer Cube. This sea themed cube craft will let you sail away even if you are nowhere near the ocean. You can make this decor for a beach themed room or even a beach house to remind you of all the great memories you have of soaking up the summer sun and riding the waves. Use some seashells you collected at your favorite beaches in order to make this cube more of a souvenir.
Primary TechniqueMixed Media
- 100mm sized wooden dice cube
- Three wooden laser cut outs of fish
- Selection of small seashells; sea stars and a small piece of coral
- Light green paper raffia
- Powder blue acrylic paint
- Blue glitter glue
- Orange, black, yellow, leaf green and dark blue felt tip pens
- Half a cup of sea sand
- Plaid Royal Coat Dimensional Magic
- Heritage Gloss water-based craft varnish
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Quick-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
- Quick-drying matt spray varnish
1. Use the felt tip pens to add some color to the fish:
- Use green and blue to color the bodies.
- Use orange to color the fins and purple to add some shadows to the fins.
- Use yellow and orange over the faces, and black for the eyes.
2. Choose one of the fish’ features to highlight using the glitter glue. In this case, the dots on their bodies were highlighted with the glitter glue. Allow the glitter glue to dry thoroughly.
3. Cover the fish with a thin layer of Dimensional Magic and allow to dry for at least two hours.
4. Paint the sides of the cube with the blue paint and allow to dry. Apply a second coat and allow to dry again.
5. Paint the sides of the cube with a thin layer of varnish and allow to dry.
6. Spread a layer of glue over the top of the cube and cover the glue with sand. Shake off any excess sand and allow to dry thoroughly.
7. Decorate the sides of the cube:
- Glue the big fish to the front panel. Add strips of green raffia to the cube to make “sea weed.”
- Add a smaller fish and sea weed to the one side panel.
- Add the second smaller fish and sea weed to the second side panel.
- Add the piece of coral and sea weed to the back panel. Hot glue the coral in place.
8. Hot glue the sea shells and sea stars to the top of the cube.
9. Spray the pot with the spray varnish. Remember to work in a well-ventilated area when spraying the varnish. Allow to dry and add a second coat.