Spirit of Liberty Quilt
Make a patriotic quilt pattern for your home that adds a mixed media marvel to your DIY home decor.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
In the Designer's Words: "The "Spirit of Liberty" is a quilted wall hanging based on photos taken on 9/11. It is a hand painted whole cloth quilt with a silhouette border representing patriotic motifs: Abraham Lincoln, the eagle, Pony Express, pioneers settling the west, The Alamo, Paul Revere, Sir Francis Scott Key, George Washington crossing the Delaware, The Mayflower, The Marines Raising the flag on Iwo Jima.
My drawings had already been traced onto fabric for "Spirit of Liberty" when my first box of craft supplies arrived from Prime Publishing with paints, etc. that I could use for the quilt. Delta's Tahiti Blue and Plaid's Seamist were used for the sky and water with textile medium added for application to fabric. The Deco Foil was used for The Statue of Liberty's torch. I had started the piece with no idea of entering it into the blogger's craft contest until I received the materials. Then by the time to do the quilting I had received materials from Fairfield with the FusiBoo included."
Art quilt patterns are the perfect marriage between traditional sewing patterns and self-expression. The Spirit of Liberty Quilt is the perfect example of this. Emblazoned with symbols of liberty and the USA, this sentimental yet stunning free quilting pattern is a lovely way to pay tribute to those lost on that fateful day on September 11, 2011. Quilters looking for a truly crafty challenge will adore making this quilt. A true mixed media gem, this quilting project not only uses paint and quilting fabric, but employs the three-dimensional sheen of DecoFoil for a truly impressive effect on Lady Liberty’s touch.
Project TypeMake a Project
Quilt Size80 inches wide x 50 inches long
Time to CompleteLonger than a weekend
- 100% cotton, front and back
- black silhouette border-Fairfield's Oly Fun
- Batting - Fairfield's Fusi-Boo
- Fabric Medium
- Plaid's Folkart Acrylic paints: Seamist, wrought iron, ash
- Delta's Ceramcoat acrylic paint: Tahiti Blue
- Plaid's fabric sponge cubes
- ICraft Deco Foil-gold
- hand dyed wool roving
- Inktense pencils
Create line drawings from photos.
Enlarge to size desired.
Trace or transfer to fabric.
Paint with fabric paints or acrylics with added textile medium.
Create quilt sandwich by layering: back, Fairfield Fusi Boo, quilt top-fuse together following Fusi Boo guidelines.
Machine or hand quilt.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- St. Patrick's Day Shiplap Sign
- Little Arrows Chunky Crochet Cowl
- In The Groove Crochet Fingerless Gloves
- Vintage Hair Tie
- How To Make Crochet Flowers
- Flower Card Craft
- Diy Face Mist With Essential Oils
- Easter Cross Stained Glass Decor
- Learn To Crochet Mug Rug
- Fabric Eggs For Easter
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home