How To Host A Virtual Baby Shower
The coronavirus pandemic has soon-to-be parents worried about a lot of things, but a baby shower shouldn't be one of them. Find out how to move a baby shower online!
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
There are so many amazing reasons to consider a virtual baby shower to celebrate the arrival of a new baby! There are also plenty of excellent questions to have about the idea of an online baby shower, and your skepticism is understandable.
Your virtual baby shower might seem a little unconventional, but these online parties also offer tons of benefits that regular showers can’t. Follow our virtual baby shower checklist and keep reading for more ideas (and some fun crafts!)
Table of Contents
How to Move a Baby Shower Online
- Set a date and time. Just because it’s not happening in person doesn’t mean you can’t put it on your calendar!
- Decide on a virtual party theme, if you’d like. Stay on theme with invitations, video call backgrounds, and fun guest challenges (funny hats, coolest mug, or any other easy way to unite your party!)
- Send invitations! Send paper invites through a mailing service like Postable or send your online baby shower invitations via email or text!
- Find the right video call or live streaming platform for your event. There are several great options discussed below!
- Register for gifts! Many retailers offer online registry services to help you send baby shower gifts. Find the one that works best for your event!
- Plan your party timeline. Some video call platforms will place a limit on the length of your call, and many guests won’t want to sit in front of a screen aimlessly for hours. Create a schedule and make sure you get to everything on your list!
- Choose activities and games that are video call friendly! We’ve got plenty of ideas below!
- Decorate! Just because you can’t party in person doesn’t mean you can’t dress up your space! Use a fun background for your video call, or get creative with your space in real life.
What Is A Virtual Baby Shower?
Virtual baby showers are an online alternative to in-person baby showers. Of course, they aren’t the same as in-person parties, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t fun and special! If you’re still skeptical of the idea, think about these pros to moving your party online.
Online parties are more casual! No need to find the picture perfect baby shower outfit, makeup, or shoes if you don’t want to. The mama-to-be can stay comfortable in her pajamas!
There’s no need to worry about transportation or neglecting out of town loved ones. Virtual parties allow guests from all over the world to join in on the fun!
Which Platform Is Best For A Virtual Baby Shower?
The most important piece of your online baby shower planning is choosing the right platform. There are several options out there, and pros and cons.
WebBabyShower is basically a full service site with everything you might need for your virtual shower, but you will have to consider their fees if this is the site you choose.
Apple’s Facetime allows 32 people to be on a call at once for an unlimited time period, but everyone will need an Apple device to participate.
Zoom has taken the world by storm since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic. These video calls allow 100 people to participate. The free subscription allows for 40 minute calls, while paid subscribers can host much longer video calls. Many people have Zoom accounts already for work or school, so this might be an easy choice.
Skype, another popular free video call service, allows 50 people on a call for 4 hours. Skype has been around for years, so if your guests are skeptical of these newer softwares, this might be the one for your event.
Google Hangouts allows for 25 people to enter a video call together, and all you need to join in is a Gmail account. This is a great option for events with guests who may be less familiar with new technology options. Another Google option to consider is Google Meet, which recently became free for all.
Facebook Messenger allows for 50 people on a call at once, though only 6 can be visible at once. If you choose to create a Facebook event for the party, this could be an easy way to make sure everyone is able to join.
Tip: Have everyone wear headphones or mute themselves when they aren’t speaking to avoid annoying echoes and screechy feedback.
How Do You Gift At A Virtual Shower?
Gifting is one of the most important parts of the baby shower. As a host or shower guest, you want to make sure the soon-to-be parents are well-prepared for their new baby. Make sure the gift giving stays strong at your online baby shower! Several businesses offer gift registry services that can be done online, so have the parents-to-be make a full list of what they need or want.
The easiest way to gift remotely is to order online and ship the item(s) directly to the recipients. If you want to maintain the element of surprise, you could also ship it to your address first, wrap it nicely, then send it to the parents. Some sites may offer gift wrapping services, so see what your gift provider can do!
If you feel like putting in a little more work, you can also ship party favors and prizes with your thank you notes after the party!
If you want to send a unique gift with a lot of love, try these 16 Homemade Baby Gift Ideas
Online Baby Shower Games
You’ve set up your video call and got all your friends and family together. What’s next? Need some ideas of what to do at a baby shower? Worried about how you’ll make sure your virtual baby shower isn’t awkward?
Most of your favorite classic baby shower games are easy to adapt to make your video call fun! Any answer-based game can be easily played by having guests write down their answers on a piece of paper, then hold the paper up to the camera! Don’t stress about how to make your baby shower memorable.
- Trivia. Trivia games are a fun and easy way to keep the party energy strong. Ask questions about the mom-to-be, or fun facts about baby care!
- The Price is Right. Have guests guess how much a baby care item (like a package of diapers or a stroller) costs. Whoever guesses closest to the correct answer wins!
- Who's That Baby? Have your guests send in a baby photo of themselves before the party starts, then share your screen and have guests figure out who’s who!
- Send a Book Instead of a Card. Many of your friends and family are probably planning to send a card of congratulations and support. Request that they write those lovely messages in the front of a baby book instead of a card, so you can build a library for the baby and save a few trees!
- Pep Talks. This is an undeniably scary time to become a parent. If the parents-to-be are comfortable talking about it, address those concerns head on. Discuss potential problems and talk through solutions as a group. Have friends and family members give loving and encouraging speeches. Hopefully, parenthood in a pandemic will be a little less scary knowing that there are so many people ready to love and support this new baby and their parents!
Looking for even more great baby shower crafts? Start with these 23 Baby Shower Invitations, Favors, and DIY Party Decoration Ideas
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Transform those dollar store vases into these stylish Upcycled Flea Market Glass Vases, great for spring decorating. With these… Continue reading: "Upcycled Flea Market Glass Vases"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Diy Masks Chain
- Toilet Paper Roll Crafts: How To Make Adorable Owl Napkin Rings
- Sandy Crossbody Tote
- The Joy Wrap
- Yarn That Doesn't Itch
- Diy reusable Swiffer Mop Pads (wet Or Dry)
- The Eyelet Lace Tee
- Salt Dough Pumpkin Handprint Keepsake
- No Sew Fabric Pumpkin
- Little Princess Romper
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home