Upcycled Tea Box for Mom with Video Tutorial
Make a unique and elegant tea box out of an old leather-bound book and an antique latch knob. Give to your Mom for a Mother's Day tea party. Cristin Frank of Eve of Reduction demonstrates how with the help of a video tutorial.
- Canvas or Leather bound book
- X‐Acto Knife
- Elmer’s Glue
- Rubber Spatula
- Bolts to attach Knob
- Nuts or Krazy Glue to Secure Bolts
- Glue page ends. Mix Elmer’s glue with a small amount of water and apply generously to the page
edges with the book closed. Use a rubber spatula to apply.
- Attach your knob. I bought my antique knob at carpentry salvage store. Mark the holes using your hardware as the template. Drilling tip: put a scrap piece of wood underneath so that you get a clean hole all the way through your book cover.
- Secure your bolts. I’m using tiny bolts that I Krazy glued in place, that way I didn’t need to cut a recess
into the book pages for the nuts to rest. I also took a blank page from the book and Elmer’s glued it over the ugly bolt ends on the inside cover.
- Measure and cut. Use a wrapped tea bag as a template for the holes you’re going to cut into the book pages. You want to leave a little extra space around the tea bag so they fit comfortably. Be prepared to go through a blade or two!
Happy Mother’s Day from The Eve of Reduction!