Knit Mitten Ornaments
Make this free knitting pattern as a cute decoration for your tree or as gifts. The Knit Mitten Ornaments from Red Heart Yarn are soft and precious, adding a light touch to your Christmas tree. You could also hang them in other places in the home. These adorable knit mittens also make great gift tags for loved ones. Wrap them around a package or attach them to a gift bag for a sweet gift embellishment anyone is sure to love. These Knit Mitten Ornaments are just the perfect decoration for your tree.
There's never a bad time to learn how to knit, so take advantage of the free knitting patterns in our popular downloadable eBook, Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns. You'll find genius free scarf knitting patterns, baby patterns and even home decor ideas. This is a must-have collection if you have a pair of needles, some yarn and the urge to get crafty.
- 1 skein of Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in Frosty Green (A)
- 1 skein of Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in Ranch Red (B)
- 1 skein of Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in Soft White (C)
- 1 skein of Red Heart Fiesta Yarn in Millenium (D)
- 3.75 mm [US 5] knitting needles
- 5 mm [US 8] knitting needles
- 3.25 [US 3] crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Stitch holder
- Inc: Knit into the front and back of same stitch. 1 stitch increased.
Directions are for one size. Yarn choice and needle size will determine finished mitten sizes.
- 2 Color Version: 2 rows A or B, 2 rows C.
Mittens (Make 2)
- Cuff Ribbing: With D (or desired color for solid mitten), cast on 22 sts.
- Row 1 (RIGHT SIDE): * K1, p1; repeat from * across.
- Repeat Row 1, 5 times more.
- Begin Pattern
- Next Row (RIGHT SIDE): Working in St st, begin desired Stripe Pattern (or continue in solid color) for 2 rows.
- Shape Thumb: Row 1 (RIGHT SIDE): K10, inc in next 2 sts, k10–24 sts.
- Row 2 and all even rows: Purl.
- Row 3: K10, inc, k2, inc, k10–26 sts.
- Row 5: K10, inc, k4, inc, k10–28 sts.
- Row 6: Purl.
- Divide for Thumb: Next Row (RIGHT SIDE): K10, cast on 2 sts, place next 8 sts on stitch holder; k10–22 sts. Work even for 9 rows.
- Shape Top: Next Row (RIGHT SIDE): * K2tog; repeat from * across–11 sts.
- Next Row: * P2tog: repeat from * across to last st, p1. Cut yarn, leaving a long end. Weave through remaining 6 sts, pull tightly to secure.
- Thumb: Place 8 sts from holder onto needle; with right side facing, attach yarn.
- Next Row: Inc, k6, inc–10 sts.
- Work even for 3 rows.
- Next Row (RIGHT SIDE): *K2tog; repeat from * across.Cut yarn leaving a long end. Weave through remaining 5 sts, pull tightly and fasten.
- Sew top and thumb seams.
- Sew thumb base to hand. With crochet hook, attach yarn or thread at thumb side of mitten on beginning edge, ch 50, slip st to other mitten at corresponding thumb edge. Fasten off. Weave in all yarn ends.
If you're looking for more holiday knitting ideas, these 18 Knitting Patterns for Christmas are a great way to use up yarn and save during the holiday season.