We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Keep your ears warm with this double knit hat with cute ear flaps, from Authentic Knitting Board. This is a great little project to use up some of your left over partial skeins.
Find this beautiful pattern and more knit hats in 27 Free Hat Knitting Patterns.
One size fits all. Knit in stockinette stitch.
Gauge: 3 sts=1"
- Knitting Board (56 needles) 28” knittingboard
- Yarn t in bulky weight wool or acrylic blend to knit to gauge. Color 1 gray color 2 cream or white color 3 black or dk brown
- Cast on 56 sts in color 1 gray
- You will knit these 56 sts for 28 rows starting at top of hat.
- Row 1-5 Knit in color 1 grey. Cut grey yarn.
- Row 6 Tie in white yarn at beginning of row. Do not cut.
- Row 7 Tie in black yarn at beginning of row. Do not cut.
- Row 8 Tie in grey yarn at beginning of row. Do not cut.
- Repeat these last (3) rows in alternating colors (2) additional times. You will have (9) rows of stripes.
- After last row of grey, cut all yarn. Tie in with white.
- Knit (3) rows in white. Now you have (17) rows of knitting. Do not cut white.
- Row (18) Weave to end of sts with white. Do not return the circular. Tie in grey. Return with grey. Hook over.
- Row (19) Tie in the black yarn. Weave to end of sts with black. Pick up white and return circular. Hook over.
- Row (20) This will be the white and grey. Repeat row (18).
- Row (21) This will be the white and black. Repeat row (19).
- Row 22 This will be the white and grey.
- You now have 22 rows of knit. Cut black and grey ends and knot.
- Row 23 Knit one row of white.
- Tie in grey yarn at beginning of row. Cut white and lay end on sts.
- Rows 24-28 Knit with grey. Cut yarn with 4" tail and knot.
- EAR FLAPS: Bind off (8) sts, Skip (11) sts for ear flap, bind off (18) sts for front of hat, Skip (11) sts for ear flap, Bind off (8) sts.
- Here's How: With crochet hook, lift st 1, both boards. Pull (1) thru other. Lift st 2, back, pull one thru other, lift st 2, front, pull one thru other. Continue with each st, one loop at time. Do this to first 8 sts, back and front. When you get to st 9, lay last loop from crochet hook onto st 9, back. Skip sts 9 thru 19. With crochet hook, lift st 20 front and back, pull 1 thru other. Now lift st 21, front, pull (1) thru other. Lift st 21, back, pull (1) thru other.
- Continue this until you are complete with (19) sts left on end of board. Lay last loop on crochet hook onto next st. Skip (11) sts. Go to last (8) sts and starting at end of board, right to left, bind off as you did before and lay last loop onto next needle. You should now have (8) bound off, (11) on board, (18) bound off, (11) on board, and (8) bound off.
- The 2 groups of 11 sts will be your EAR FLAPS.
- Go back to first group of 11 sts. Tie grey yarn onto previous row on bottom 1st st on left. Knit (2) rows with these (11) sts in stockinette. Remember you will have one extra loop on first needle that was left from your first 8 st bind off. Just loop it over with bottom loop. (you may want to put a piece of tape over 2nd group of 11 to keep them from being jiggled off needles)
- Next row dec (1) st each end, both boards.
- Knit one regular row. (2 rows for larger ear flaps)
- Next row dec (1) st each end, both boards. Knit one regular row.
- Repeat this process until you have one st left, and bind it off.
- Go to 2nd group of 11 sts, and repeat process to
- Draw ends of yarn into knitting with crochet hook. Be sure you put a knot in each one before tucking it in.
- Sew 2 side edges together with strand of grey yarn by doing a whip st over edges of knitting. Knot securely at both ends. Make sure to match your design as you sew the sts, and pick up just the one edge st, both strands.
- Draw anchor yarn tight and tie to form top of hat.
- Pom Pom for top of hat: This is where you can get as creative as you would like. You can top your hat with a long braid of 3 colors. You can add a pompom of a bright color. But our little pom pom is grey like the hat. So wrap yarn around 3 or 4 fingers, about 35 wraps. Slip it off your fingers, and tie double piece of yarn tightly around the middle of loops. Using crochet hook, pull ends of yarn thru to inside of hat and tie securely. Pull ends into knit.
- Cut loops of pom-pom and shape to desired length, aprox. 1".
- String Ties for Earflaps: Each tie is aprox 14" in length. This is done as crochet chain using double strand of yarn. Cut grey yarn aprox 7' long for each string. Insert crochet hook thru bottom sts of ear flap. Pull loop around and chain a rope with double stand. Cut and knot when string is long enough. Make second string for opposite side of hat. Trim bottom, or make small pompom and tie on.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Ladies and gentlemen, this is The Only Crocheted Granny Square You'll Ever Need. This easy beginner granny square crochet pattern is… Continue reading: "The Only Crocheted Granny Square You'll Ever Need"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Paper Bunny For Easter
- Printable Easter Eggs [Free Download]
- Free Crochet Face Mask Pattern
- Easy Crochet Wildflower Pattern
- Crochet Easter Egg Applique
- Onward And Upward Scrap Afghan
- Headband Pattern
- Stress Relieving Easter Egg
- Westcott 100 Watt Glue Gun
- Screen-Print Pendants
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home