We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Looking for a new staple piece for your wardrobe? Well, you've come to the right place! This Two Piece Knit Poncho Pattern should be a must in every winter closet. Made out of chunky yarn, this knit poncho pattern will keep you warm and cozy during the wintertime. If you're running late in the morning, throw on this knit poncho over your outfit instead of a jacket!
Whether you're attending a fancy event or taking a lazy day, this free knitting pattern is a great option, and it's meant to be worn by women of all shapes and sizes. In the pattern's instructions, you'll notice that you can adjust the poncho's size without any extra trouble. This pattern is so easy to knit that you'll be choosing ponchos over knit shawl patterns in the winter.
So, if you're looking for a free poncho knitting pattern or you just want to try something new, this poncho pattern is perfect for you! You only need three or four balls of yarn for this knit pattern, so there's no way you'll break the bank.
Knitting Needle Size8 or 5 mm
Yarn Weight(5) Bulky/Chunky (12-15 stitches for 4 inches)
Gauge15 sts and 22 rows = 4 in. [10 cm] in stocking st.
Finished SizeXS/M 20½ in. [52 cm] -- L/2XL 22½ in. [57 cm] -- 3XL/5XL 24½ in. [62 cm]
- Bernat Harmony (100 g/3.5 oz) in Ocean Blue (47142) - Sizes XS/M 3 balls; L/2XL 4 balls; 3XL/5XL 4 balls
- Knitting needles: size 5 mm (U.S. 8) or size needed to obtain gauge.
You can find this beginner knit pattern, along with several other easy knitting patterns, in our free eBook Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns eBook
The instructions are written for the smallest size. If changes are necessary for larger sizes, the instructions will be written thus ( ).
FRONT and BACK (make alike):
Cast on 55 (60-65) sts.
Knit 3 rows.
Next row: (RS). Knit.
Next row: K3. Purl to last 3 sts. K3.
Rep last 2 rows until work from beg measures 29 (32-34) in. [73.5 (81.5-86.5) cm], ending with WS facing for next row.
Knit 2 rows. Cast off knitwise (WS).
Sew cast off edge of one piece to side of other piece as shown in Diagram.
XS/M 28-38 in. [71-96.5 cm]
L/2XL 40-50 in. [101.5-127 cm]
3XL/5XL 52-62 in. [132-157.5 cm]
Finished length between neck edge and point:
XS/M 20½ in. [52 cm]
L/2XL 22½ in. [57 cm]
3XL/5XL 24½ in. [62 cm]
It's never too early to start thinking about your winter clothing! With these free shawl and poncho knitting patterns, you'll feel warm and cozy all winter long. Check out our collection of 23 Favorite Free Shawl and Poncho Knitting Patterns
Do you enjoy wearing ponchos?
Let us know in the comments below!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 16 Free Knitted Slipper Patterns
- Judith Huerta - Editorial Intern
- 32 New Baby Craft Ideas
- Top 10 Recycled Magazine Crafts
- 22 Fabric Flowers to Make
- Addie Gundry
- Flower Head Crochet Hat Pattern
- How To Double Crochet Straight Edges
- Upcycled Faux Pearl Necklace into Purse Handle
- Continuous Bias Tape Tutorial
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home