Easy to Knit Sweet Baby Hat
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Discover an easy baby hat knitting pattern amid the sea of patterns for newborns. Red Heart Yarn's Easy to Knit Sweet Baby Hat knits up quick and keeps baby's head warm. It's a great gift idea for a shower or child's birthday party. The cute colors in this easy baby hat pattern make it a real standout. Little ones will never fuss when they're out in the cold, and moms and dads will appreciate the quiet. Even when the wee one grows out of the hat, parents will want to save it as a keepsake.
- RED HEART® "Soft Yarn" 4 oz (113 g), 204 yd (187 m) balls: 1 ball 9930 Baby Print
- Knitting needles, 5mm [US 8]
- Yarn needle
Gauge: 16 sts = 4 inches; 23 rows = 4 inches in St st. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needle to obtain the gauge.
Directions are for size Preemie; changes for size Baby are in parentheses.
Hat Circumference: 12 inches (14 inches).
K2, p2 Rib (worked over a multiple of 4 sts)
Row 1 (Right Side): * K2, p2; repeat from * across.
Repeat Row 1 for K2, p2 rib.
Cast on 48 (56) sts.
Work in K2, p2 rib for 1 (1½) inches, end by working a wrong side row.
Begin St st with a k row, and work even until piece measures 4½ (5½) inches from beginning, end by working a wrong side row.
Row 1: * K6, K2tog; repeat from * across–42 (49) sts.
Rows 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 (Wrong Side): Purl across.
Row 3: * K5, k2tog; repeat from * across–36 (42) sts.
Row 5: * K4, k2tog; repeat from * across–30 (35) sts.
Row 7: * K3, k2tog; repeat from * across–24 (28) sts.
Row 9: * K2, k2tog; repeat from * across–18 (21) sts.
Row 11: * K1, k2tog; repeat from * across–12 (14) sts.
Cut yarn, leaving an 8 inch tail. Thread through remaining sts, pull tightly to secure.
Sew back seam. Weave in yarn ends.
If you like to make free knit hat patterns for babies, then you'll fall in love with our free eBook, 39 Free Baby Knitting Patterns. In this printable collection, you'll find patterns for baby booties, tiny sweaters and cute baby blankets. These patterns are warm, cozy and so much fun to make. Give your creations to a new mommy or save it for a little one's birthday. Whether you want to learn how to knit a hat or consider yourself to be a knitting expert, this collection is sure to become a favorite.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
The Recycled Water Bottle Supply Organizer is a great way to do your part to save the earth by crafting with items you may already… Continue reading: "Recycled Water Bottle Supply Organizer"
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Glitzy & Glittery Ornament Critter
- Origami Slanted Bowl
- Leather and Yarn Earrings
- DIY Snowman Candy Holder (from an upcycled peanuts container)
- Wagner HT400 Heat Gun
- Kid-Friendly Pipe Cleaner Christmas Trees Craft
- Crochet Lace Flower Hexagon
- Crochet Lace Spoke Circle
- Six pointed Star Crochet Motif
- Christmas Tree Snowflake Ornament
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home