Colorful Butterfly Mobile
Decorate your room or your little sister's room with this Colorful Butterfly Mobile from American Girl Crafts. This butterfly hanging mobile is a great craft for spring! It's also a great way to use up your left over American Girl paper from all your other projects!
- American Girl Crafts Paper Posies Pad
- American Girl Crafts 12x12 Super Paper Pad
- American Girl Crafts Brilliant Butterflies Shiny Stickers
- American Girl Crafts Stretchable String
- American Girl Crafts Painted Beads
- American Girl Crafts Scissors
- American Girl Crafts Glue
- Small wood embroidery hoop
- Adhesive foam squares
- Glue can be messy, so cover your work space with newspaper or scrap paper.
- From the Paper Posies Pad, punch out a wide range of small and large butterflies.
- Cut 10 to 15 pieces of Stretchable String, each 14 inches long.
- Punch out a large butterfly from the Paper Posies Pad. Find 2 smaller butterflies from the Brilliant Butterflies Shiny Stickers, which will go on either side of the large butterfly.
- Glue the end of a piece of the string between the large butterfly and one of the small butterflies. Press butterflies together.
- Stick the other small butterfly onto the opposite side of the large butterfly.
- Cut out the circle template included with these instructions, and trace onto patterned paper. Cut out two circles.
- Glue the end of one piece of string between the 2 circles. Place 2 smaller butterflies from the Brilliant Butterflies Shiny Stickers onto either side.
- Punch out 2 butterflies that are the same shape from the Paper Posies Pad.
- Glue the butterflies back-to-back around the string.
Adding more decoration:
- Tie a double knot 2 to 3 inches above a hanging butterfly. String a Painted Bead so that it slides down and rests above the knot.
- Glue 2 more butterflies back-to-back, above or below the bead. Remember, making each string of butterflies different is what makes your mobile fun!
Completing the mobile:
- Hang about 10 to 15 butterflies on strings. When these are completed, tie the top ends of the strings to the embroidery hoop, spacing them evenly apart. Tie the strings so that the butterflies hang at different lengths.
- Have an adult help you figure out how high to hang your mobile. Cut 3 more pieces of Stretchable String, about 15 inches long, depending on where you want your mobile to hang. Tie the ends of these strings around the embroidery hoop.
- To hide the strings, glue small butterflies from the Paper Posies Pad around the edge of the embroidery hoop. If you like, stick an adhesive foam square on the back of a few to make them pop. Gently bend their wings up to make them look as though they are flying.
- Tie the 3 plain, hanging strings together in a knot above the embroidery hoop. String a couple of Painted Beads above the knot.