No Sew Sock Kitty
This is one of the cutest no sew sock animals.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Make an awesome sock project without sewing! The No Sew Sock Kitty is an easy sock animal pattern to make. The step-by-step tutorial will teach you how to turn a few socks into an adorable plushie. This cute project can be done in an evening, and by using inexpensive materials like socks to make the project, you'll create something truly adorable for minimal cost. Customize your sock kitty by choosing a unique "shirt" for him or her, and make them for several little kids in your life. This is a wonderful gift idea for the holidays.
Estimated CostUnder $10
Time to CompleteIn an evening
MaterialsBeads, Fabric, Felt
Primary TechniqueNo Sew Project
Project TypeMake a Project
- 1 knit sock with ribbed cuff (black or in color of your choice)
- 1 decorative knit sock in color and pattern of your choice
- Felt (black, pink, yellow or colors of your choice)
- 18 gauge Fun Wire (Toner Plastics) in any color
- 2 flat backed black beads (4 mm)
- 2 yellow faceted gems (10 mm or size of your choice)
- Heart shaped brad or bead
- 2 knitting stitch markers in a size that fits around your faceted gems
- 4 black pompoms (1” diameter) or pompoms in colors of your choice
- Hemp or jute cord
- Kitchen and garden cotton twine (name a kind)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- Polyester fiberfill (12 oz bag)
- Gem-Tac® Permanent Adhesive, Fabri-Tac® Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- Fabric scissors
- Non-stick craft mat
Cutting across the cuff right above the heel, cut the black sock in two sections. Discard heel section or save for another project.
Turn remaining cuff section inside out. Hand gather around the cut edge. Wrap securely with an 8” length of cotton string and tie closed. Turn right side out. Fill with rice until the tied cuff section stands securely and doesn’t topple over. Stuff fiberfill into the remaining space, leaving about 1/2” inch on top. Hand gather top edge and secure with another length of cotton string. Trim excess string, if needed.
Note: Adjust the amount of rice based on the size sock being used.
Squeeze to form a neck and shape a head about 3” below top edge. Loosely wrap a 10” length of cotton cord around the neck and tie closed; trim string as needed.
Cut wire into lengths as follows:
3” (Cut 2 for arms)
4 1/2” (Cut 2 for legs)
7” (Cut 1 for tail)
Cut black felt into lengths as follows:
2 1/2” x 3 1/2” (Cut 2 for arms)
2” x 5” (Cut 2 for legs)
3” x 7 1/2” (Cut 1 for tail)
Begin with one arm. Apply a line of Gem-Tac along along one piece of wire; set for one minute. Attach wire to one long edge of the felt, holding securely against the felt until it grabs. Wrap felt around wire by applying Fabri-Tac to felt and pinching until it grabs, as you wrap. Repeat these steps for the other arm, both legs and the tail. Dry completely.
Note: Straighten all wire pieces before applying glue and attaching to felt. Apply adhesive and wrap in stages. It is important to make sure the adhesive grabs and begins to set up as you wrap.
Cut four 3” lengths of cord. Tie in center of all to secure; glue whiskers onto head with Gem-Tac. Glue heart brad or bead over whiskers. Glue small black bead onto faceted gems; glue onto head. Glue knitting stitch markers over gems. Attach arms, legs and tail onto body, pressing and holding one piece at a time until secure. Wrap and glue 1/2” x 2” strips of yellow and 1/4’ x 2” pink felt around legs, as shown. Glue pompoms onto arms and legs; dry. When everything is completely dry, shape the arms and legs as desired.
Cut the decorative sock into two sections, as outlined in Step 1. Cut off heel so the cuff section is squared off. Measure the distance from the cat’s neck to where the arms are attached. Mark that on the cuff section and cut a 1/2” slit along both sides. Carefully slip the cuff section over the cat’s head and slip the arms through the slits.
Cut a 3/4” x 15” strip of yellow felt. Wrap around neck, positioning over top edge of sweater and tie to secure. Roll up the cut edge of the decorative sock toe section. Place over head. Cut two pink (3/4” x 1”) and two black felt triangles (1” x 1 1/2”). Glue layers together with Fabri-Tac; glue onto front of hat, just above rolled edge.
Use a striped sock for the body to create a tabby cat. Or paint stripes or other features on your sock with fabric paint.
Create a banner or sign for your cat to hold. Or add a bouquet of felt, fabric or paper flowers.
Create several smaller kitties from child or baby socks to place in the larger cat’s arms.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
This free crochet pattern is suitable and intermediate crocheters who know the basics. The total yardage for a large blanket (1 x 1.80… Continue reading: "Colourful Granny Rainbow Crochet Baby Blanket"
- 16 Mason Jar Lid Ornaments
- Tall Succulent Planter
- 34 Crafts To Do With Old Jeans
- Recycled Magazine Collage Art
- Newspaper Flower Vase
- 1000+ Recycled Crafts
- 62 Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
- Pill Bottle Crafts: Reuse Pill Bottles [15 Ideas]
- 12 Styrofoam Crafts for Adults
- Stunningly Beautiful Pill Bottle Lamp
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Six pointed Star Crochet Motif
- Christmas Tree Snowflake Ornament
- Thanksgiving Turkey Gnome
- Sunflower Swirls Shawl
- Rolled Hem with a Serger
- Kawaii Gift Box
- Handmade Pincushion and Pattern Weights Set
- 13 Tools and Tips for Sewing With Leather for the First Time
- Gingerbread Belly Flatware Holders
- Snowman Belly Flatware Holder
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home