53 Scrap Yarn Projects
Wondering what to do with leftover yarn? Find dozens of ideas in our collection.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
We asked our Facebook fans, "How do you use up yarn scraps?" Thanks to our readers, we have 38 Ways to Use Up Yarn Scraps + 18 Scrap Yarn Projects so you can better organize your yarn stash and find great yarn craft ideas. These are great ideas to help you get the most for your money.
Whether you're looking for easy yarn crafts or want to find more practical solutions there are plenty of ideas to keep you busy. No matter how you choose to use up your yarn, you can rest assured that you won't waste a thing.
Yarn projects aren't meant for just crocheters and knitters - these scrap yarn projects are perfect for anyone who's in the mood to craft.
Bonus! Are you a visual learner? Follow this video tutorial for How to Make Yarn Pom Poms.
Table of Contents
Yarn Craft Ideas
- Home Decor Yarn Flowers
Use it to decorate cards and bookmarks.
- No-Sew DIY Cat Toy
I make small rounds for cats to chase - like little puffs - which I stick in catnip. With the little pieces I put them out for the birds.
- Retro DIY Plastic Canvas Glasses Case
Scraps are great for plastic canvas projects and hats for the homeless!
- Fleece Dog Toy
Tie them in knots and make a tug-of-war dog toy. Works with fabric, too.
- Giant Tassel Keychain Easy Yarn Craft
I like to make simple key chains to give to friends and family.
- Scrap Yarn Pom Poms
Itty bitty pom pom balls.
- Neon Yarn Globes
Line a cookie sheet with foil. Dip yarn bits thru white glue and run through your lightly pinched fingers to get off drippy excess. Kids can make small designs (or use cookie cutters as a mold. When dry, they make hanging ornaments.
- 3-Ingredient DIY Bird Feeders
I use them in the garden to tie things up.
- Kid's Yarn Octopus
- Easiest Yarn Wrapped Spring Wreath
Mini Crochet Projects
- DIY Crochet Flowers 3 Ways
I use yarn scraps to crochet flowers!
- Mini Octopus Crochet Pattern
Use it for stuffing small items.
- Crochet Utility Mini Basket
I use my scraps when I make Coil Baskets.
- Mandala Popcorn Granny Square
I make granny squares & combine for small blankets (varying from 6 to 12 squares) & donate them to my local animal shelter. The Vet Tech uses then during surgery & post-op recovery to lay under the animals. He says crocheted blankets are the BEST way to keep the animals body temperature up during these times & make for safer surgery & faster recovery times!
- Doll Crochet Skirt Pattern
I use them to make Barbie blankets, scarves, and belts. I'm about to use some for making crochet flowers, and a scrap-yarn blanket.
- Art n' Soul Scrappy Scarf
I've seen a scarf where people take different yarns using dice to decide which one is next. I think it was called the Las Vegas scarf. Kind of a neat idea!
- Scrap Yarn Flower
I make flowers, bookmarks, candy cane horses, and will often make scrap yarn hats!
- Nettie's Super Simple Cowl
Every year, I try to come up with a new scrap yarn project. Last year it was multi-colored scarves. This year, I'm making long strips for blankets, and I'll donate the finished projects to our local Shelter.
- Crochet Cat Bed
Sometimes I make them into small granny squares (and use crocheted black yarn rows for joining strips) for an old-fashioned looking afghan. Other times, I tie the ends of the yarn together, leaving approx 1" tails, crochet into a different kind of pillow topper, or once, even into a small afghan for the cat bed. Kitty loved batting the little lengths that were left hanging, and it really didn't look bad, kinda shabby chic.
- Crochet Flower Flip Flops
I like to make a scrappy afghan. I have been thinking about re styling some flip flops with some scraps.
- Grandma's Lacy Granny Square
If I only have a very tiny bit, I’ll do the center of a granny square and put away in a plastic container with lid. Then when I have a lot I’ll make a blanket...it’s nice because I can reflect back on the centers and remember the project I made with that yarn.
- Belle Fleur Scarf
Most of the time I will make a flower vine scarf.
- Crocheted iPhone Cozy
I crochet phone cozies!
- Cheeky Mice Crochet Pattern
- Crocheted Doily DIY Necklace
I make miniature granny square pendants for necklaces.
- Granny Square Purse
Yes, I make little granny squares and put them together for belts, lap blankets or even afghans.................and HANDBAGS!
- Cuddly Bunny Love
I use yarn for stuffing small arms and legs on amigurumi and to use for face features.
- Crocodile Stitch Change Purse
Yarn is great for small change purses and other small items.
- Reusable Crochet Scrubbies
I make dish cloths and face cloths from my cotton yarns, they are great as gifts too.
- Crochet Flower Statement Necklace
- Microspun Crochet Fantabulous Flip Flops
- Remix Cuff
- Quick and Easy Crochet Scarf
- Small Crochet Bunny Peeps
- Scrap Yarn Crochet Slippers
- Little Angel
- Fun Garland
- Cotton Candy Dreams Crocheted Cuff
- Scrap Squares Rug
- Fortune Teller's Bracelet
- Crocheted Stash Buster Basket
Tiny Knitting Projects
- Diver Down Flower
I make flowers, great way to use up small pieces of yarn.
- Native Stripes Knit Blanket Pattern
Once a year I make a scrap afghan, use them for centers of granny squares, put the small ones in the suit cake feeder and the birds use them in their nest, my kids have even used them as bunny beds when their bunny had babies.
- Bright Stripes Poncho
If I have a fourth of a yard or more left I mix them with other pieces to make outfits for my granddaughters. That is popular now to mix materials together to make cute clothes for children.
- Super Easy Knit Baby Booties
I made baby booties, pot holder, rugs, and scrunchies.
- Set of Four Knitted Coasters
- Holiday Socks for Baby
I use it for 'freeform' anything goes, colors don't need to match, I knit and crochet anything I want to make with leftovers at the time. I made little wee sock even, bunions, granny squares, curlicues..etc.
- Half Fisherman Ribbed DIY Headband
Headbands, ear muffs, booties, and wash cloths.
- Starburst Fingerless Gloves Knitting Pattern
I do granny square throws or small projects like gloves, scarves, hats, and baby toys to use up my left over scrap yarn.
- Double Seed Stitch Coffee Cozy
- Amazing Felted Knit Coffee Cozies
"How Do You Use Up Yarn Scraps?"
Here are more ideas for what to do with yarn scraps:
- I donate them to Special Needs preschool in my town.
- Leave them out for the birds! I now have 8 colored robin nests in my trees!
As you already know, you don't have to be a crocheter to make scrap yarn projects. However, if you happen to love crochet, it's your lucky day. Check out this collection of 25 Quick and Thrifty Free Crochet Patterns and get inspired. In this free eBook, you'll find patterns for hats and flowers. You'll also find great DIY gift ideas for a baby shower or birthday party. Get the collection: "25 Quick and Thrifty Free Crochet Patterns" eBook
What are other ways to use up scrap yarn? Tell us in the comments!
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Quotidian Crochet Satchel
- Rainbow Hearts Pouch
- Make Batik Style Prayer Flags Using Glue
- Chevron Stripes Pouch
- Milk Carton Craft - Diy Toy Ambulance
- Simply Sophisticated Scarlet Crochet Throw
- Fall Placemat & Coaster Set
- Marly Bird
- Repurposed Santa Treat Box
- Stephanie Paxman
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home