25 Easy Rock Painting Ideas for Beginners
Learn how to paint rocks and pay it forward with these darling tutorials.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
If you adore the painted rocks trend, it's time you made some yourself. How lovely is it to pay it forward by leaving beautiful rocks in public places for people to find? Like finding a sweet note left anonymously, the painted rocks you might find at your local park can spark joy in your day.
Join in on the trend and make these simple painted rocks. These easy rock painting ideas are great for talented painters and beginners alike. The key to many of these painting tutorials is patience, so be kind to yourself as well as others when you complete these projects. Have fun crafting and brighten someone's day with these lovely projects.
Table of Contents
Rock Painting Ideas
Learn how to do a basic design on the rock or try something a little more complicated with some of the pretty galaxy designs below! You can also decoupage on the rocks for a lovely unique effect, and even apply temporary tattoos to the rocks.
- Temporary Tattoos Painted Rocks Idea
You can use tattoos to create lovely, intricate designs.
- Decorative Painted Rocks
Go bold with black polka dots, lines, and shapes.
- Decoupaged Message Rocks
Decoupage is an excellent option for your rocks because you're really not limited at all!
- Fall Leaf Stone Paperweights
Spend a day with the kids collecting small leaves, then use them for this project.
- Easy Ocean Rocks
These are so pretty! Swirl paint to create a really gorgeous design.
- Pretty Painted Cacti
Rocks don't have to look like rocks when painted. Turn them into cacti that never die.
- Galaxy Painted Rocks
This is an awesome tutorial that wil make you feel like a true artist, and the technique is so easy!
- Painted Strawberry Rock Crafts
Turn those stones into strawberries with just a little bit of paint.
- Artistic Rocks Painting Craft
This is such a cool decoupage tutorial for making your rocks look like mixed media masterpieces!
- Personalized Glitter Rocks
Your project will sparkle and shine when you incorporate glitter into your crafts.
- Rockin Halloween Stones
Don't let the fun stop just because summer is over! Paint Halloween motifs on your stones for an awesome project.
- Hand Painted Rock Bugs
These bugs are awesome! Learn a variety of techniques for creating each one.
- Rock Lady Bug
Love lady bugs? Make an oversized one with this easy painting tutorial.
- Glittering Garden Rocks
Since stones are readily available, use them to label the vegetables and herbs in your garden with this sparkly project.
- Uplifting Message Rocks
This is at the heart of the rock hiding movement! Brighten someone's day when you hide these inspiring rocks at your local park.
- Cute Vegetable Garden Rock Signs
Paint your stones to look like the vegetables in your garden for easy identification.
- DIY Glow in the Dark Halloween Rocks
Glow-in-the-dark paint is your best friend for creating spooky rocks that stand out at night!
- Painted Rock Christmas Ring
You can WEAR the rocks you paint with this festive tutorial.
- Fabric Scrap Pebbles
If you have fabric with sweet prints on it, fussy cut them and use them for this project.
- Spooky Painted Pebble Spiders
Keep the Halloween spirit alive with this awesome project! It's easy to turn your rocks into spooky spiders.
- Cactus Painted Rocks with Yarn Pots
Don't worry, you won't have to worry about watering this painted rock cactus!
- Motivational Painted Rock Paper Weights
Place this painted rock on your desk at work or on your dresser at home for motivational pick-me-up every day.
- Father's Day Painted Rock Kids Crafts
If you and your kids are looking for the perfect Father's Day gift, this painted rocks project will certainly warm your special man's heart.
- Day of the Dead Skulls
Celebrate the spooky holiday with equally spooky painted rocks!
- Beaded Stone Paper Weights
BONUS! This isn't a rock painting idea but it is SO cool. Use beads to embellish your rocks for beautiful designs, and use them as paper weights or seal them so they can go outside.
If you want to learn more of the basics for painting rocks, be sure to check out our helpful how to guide, How to Paint Rocks This Summer
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
The Recycled Water Bottle Supply Organizer is a great way to do your part to save the earth by crafting with items you may already… Continue reading: "Recycled Water Bottle Supply Organizer"
- Pumpkin Centerpiece
- Fairy Garden Terrarium in a Mason Jar
- 15 Terrarium Ideas: Inspiration for Planting Succulents
- 31 Clay Pot Crafts
- Junk Store Birdhouse
- How to Paint Rocks This Summer
- Simple DIY Seed Bombs
- Woodland Themed Terrarium
- Gorgeous Simple 10 Minute Moroccan Tile Planters
- "Garden Crafts" eBook
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Glitzy & Glittery Ornament Critter
- Origami Slanted Bowl
- Leather and Yarn Earrings
- DIY Snowman Candy Holder (from an upcycled peanuts container)
- Wagner HT400 Heat Gun
- Kid-Friendly Pipe Cleaner Christmas Trees Craft
- Crochet Lace Flower Hexagon
- Crochet Lace Spoke Circle
- Six pointed Star Crochet Motif
- Christmas Tree Snowflake Ornament
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home