Home for the Holidays Afghan
Give your home that warm welcome feel with this Home for the Holidays Afghan. Made to look like a woven blanket, this crocheted afghan is perfect for snuggling up with on Christmas morning. You could also whip up this blanket as a gift for a loved one or use it for an evening spent snuggling with the one you love. By combining crochet and weaving skills, you can create an afghan reminiscent of blankets you may have found at your grandma's house. Perfect for adapting to suit other color combinations as well, this afghan is the perfect way to enjoy the cooler winter months ahead.
Crochet HookH/8 or 5 mm hook
If you love adding free crochet patterns to your holiday gift-giving, check out our full list of free crochet patterns for Christmas, including crochet ornaments, jolly afghans, and more!
- 5 skeins Caron® United yarn in Cherry (A)
- 3 skeins Caron® United yarn in White (B)
- 3 skeins Caron® United yarn in Fresh Green (C)
- 2 skeins Caron® United yarn in Dark Green (D)
- 1 skein Caron® United yarn in Dark Grey Heather (E)
- U.S. H/8 (5 mm) crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge
- Large-eyed blunt-ended darning needle
- 13 sc and 14 rows = 4" [10 cm]
Approx 46" x 71" [117 x 180 cm] (excluding fringe)
- With A, ch 165.
- 1st row: (RS). 1 dc in 5th ch from hook (counts as 1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc). *Ch 1. Miss next ch. 1 dc in next ch. Rep from * to end of ch. 163 sts or 81 ch-1 sps. Turn.
- 2nd row: Ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1). *1 dc in next dc. Ch 1. Rep from * across, ending with 1 dc in 3rd ch of turning ch. Join D. Turn.
- 3rd row: With D, as 2nd row. Join A. Turn.
- 4th and 5th rows: With A, as 2nd row. Join B. Turn.
- 6th and 7th rows: With B, as 2nd row. Join C. Turn.
- 8th and 9th rows: With C, as 2nd row. Join B. Turn.
- 10th row: With B, as 2nd row. Join C. Turn.
- 11th and 12th rows: With C, as 2nd row. Join A. Turn.
- 13th and 14th rows: With A, as 2nd row. Join D. Turn.
- Rep 3rd to 14th rows for pat 8 times more, then rep 3rd to 5th rows once. Fasten off.
- Cut lengths of yarn approx 96” [245 cm] long. Taking 3 strands tog, thread onto darning needle and beg at lower edge, weave vertically under and over rows in ch-1 sps up to top edge, noting strands will alternate ‘under’ and ‘over’ rows to create woven appearance.
- With RS of Blanket facing, weave strands from left to right in the following color sequence (see diagram) (leaving approx 9” [23 cm] at each end for fringe): (A) 5 times. *B. E. B. C. D. C. B. E. B.** (A) 3 times.*
- Rep the sequence of 12 strands between * to * once more, then rep from * to ** once. (A) 5 times. Rep the sequence between * to * twice more, then rep from * to ** once. (A) 5 times.
- Cut lengths of yarn approx 18” [45.5 cm] long. Taking 2 strands tog, fold strands in half and knot into fringe, matching 3-strand weaving group ends at top and bottom edges of Blanket. Trim fringe evenly.
We have even more bright, beautiful, and easy-to-crochet free afghan patterns in our collection of 36 Colorful Crochet Afghan Patterns.