Granny Square Scarf Pattern
This unique scarf uses an intricate granny square pattern to build an accessory that's as beautiful as it is eye-catching!
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This crochet Granny Square Scarf Pattern incorporates a new granny square design in a phenomenal way. In case you haven't tried it out yet, granny squares are the perfect way to add unique designs to virtually any crochet project. With the right colors, they can make your project decadent and elegant or stylish and kitschy, which makes them incredibly useful and versatile. While most crocheters tend use granny squares for afghans, there's nothing wrong with stepping outside of that standard. This crochet scarf uses an intricate granny square pattern to build an accessory that’s as beautiful as it is eye-catching. The scarf is so ornate that you would think it was made by a leading fashion designer. That’s the beauty of it. Even more beautiful is the fact that this crochet scarf pattern is easy to duplicate. With just a handful of materials, you could use this pattern to make a piece so stunning to go with every winter outfit you own.
Crochet HookJ/10 or 6 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeOne granny square measures about 6½ x 6½” [16.5 x 16.5 cm].
Finished SizeScarf measures about 6½” [16.5 cm] wide and 74″ [188 cm] long, not including fringe.
- RED HEART® Super Saver®: 1 skein each of 312 Black A, 313 Aran B, 334 Buff C, 336 Warm Brown D, 360 Café Latte E, and 378 Claret F
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 6mm [US J-10]
- Yarn needle
- Crochet scarf pattern is made from 11 granny squares, arranged into a strip and sewn together.
- Each granny square is worked in joined rounds with right side always facing. The yarn color is changed every round (except the last round) by fastening off the old color and joining the new color.
GRANNY SQUARE I (make 2)
With A, ch 5; join with slip st in first ch to form a ring.
Round 1 (right side): Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), work 11 dc in ring; join with slip st in top of beginning ch- 3—12 dc. Fasten off.
Round 2: With right side facing, draw up a loop of E in any space between sts, ch 3, dc in same space, *ch 1, 2 dc in next space between sts; repeat from * around, ch 1; join wth slip st in top of beginning ch-3—24 dc and 12 ch-1 spaces. Fasten off.
Round 3: With right side facing, draw up a loop of F in any ch-1 space, ch 3, 2 dc in same ch-1 space, *ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * around, ch 1; join with slip st in top of beginning ch- 3—36 dc and 12 ch-1 spaces. Fasten off.
Round 4: With right side facing, draw up a loop of C in any ch-1 space, ch 3, 2 dc in same ch-1 space, *ch 2, 3 dc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * around, ch 2; join with slip st in top of beginning ch- 3—36 dc and 12 ch-2 spaces. Fasten off.
Round 5: With right side facing, draw up a loop of B in any ch-2 space, ch 3, 3 dc in same ch-2 space, ch 1, 4 dc in next ch-2 space, *ch 1, (2 dc, 2 tr, ch 2, 2 tr, 2 dc) in next ch-2 space (corner made), [ch 1, 4 dc in next ch-2 space] twice; repeat from * 2 more times, ch 1, (2 dc, 2 tr, ch 2, 2 tr, 2 dc) in next ch-2 space, ch 1; join with slip st in top of beginning ch-3—4 corners with two 4-dc groups along each of 4 sides between corners. Fasten off.
Round 6: With right side facing, join A with slip st in any corner ch-2 space, *[skip next st, sc in next 3 sts, sc in next ch-1 space] 3 times, skip next st, sc in next 3 sts, 3 sc in corner ch-2 space; repeat from * 3 more times; join with slip st in first sc—72 sc (15 sc along each of 4 sides between 3-sc corners). Do not fasten off.
Round 7: Continuing with A, ch 1, *sc in each st to next 3-sc corner, 2 sc in each of next 3 sc; repeat from * 3 more times; join with slip st in first sc—84 sc. Fasten off.
GRANNY SQUARE II (make 2)
Make same as Granny Square I using B for Round 1, F for Round 2, A for Round 3, E for Round 4, C for Round 5, and A for Rounds 6 and 7.
GRANNY SQUARE III (make 2)
Make same as Granny Square I using C for Round 1, D for Round 2, E for Round 3, F for Round 4, B for Round 5, and A for Rounds 6 and 7.
GRANNY SQUARE IV (make 2)
Make same as Granny Square I using D for Round 1, A for Round 2, B for Round 3, C for Round 4, F for Round 5, and A for Rounds 6 and 7.
GRANNY SQUARE V (make 2)
Make same as Granny Square I using E for Round 1, B for Round 2, F for Round 3, A for Round 4, D for Round 5, and A for Rounds 6 and 7.
GRANNY SQUARE VI (make 1)
Make same as Granny Square I using F for Round 1, C for Round 2, B for Round 3, D for Round 4, E for Round 5, and A for Rounds 6 and 7.
Arrange the Granny Squares into a strip, in any order desired. With A, sew the squares together.
Cut lengths of A, B, C, D, E, and F, each about 24″ [61 cm] long. Holding 1 strand of each color together, fold lengths in half. Using crochet hook, pull fold through any stitch of one short edge of scarf, forming a loop. Thread ends through loop and pull to tighten. Attach a total of 7 fringes evenly spaced along both short ends of scarf. Trim fringe to even. Weave in ends.
Examples of Other Color Variations
- A, B, C, etc.
- Color A, Color B, Color C etc; ch = chain; dc = double crochet
- single crochet
- ( )
- work directions in parentheses into same st
- [ ]
- work directions in brackets the number of times specified
- repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
What is your favorite use for granny squares?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Desert Winds Modern Crochet Triangle Scarf
- Magenta Mesh Crochet Cowl
- Bean Stitch Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Boho Crochet Shawl Pattern
- Convertible Cathedral Cowl
- Japanese Fan Crocheted Scarf
- Cascading Potato Chip Scarf
- Powdered Sugar Infinity Scarf Crochet Pattern
- 33 Crochet Scarf Patterns
- Chunky Crochet Mittens and Scarf
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Printable Sports Word Scramble
- C2c Heart Hat
- Easy Wrap Dress Free Sewing Pattern
- Striped Hourglass Area Rug
- Winding Cables Hat
- Seeing Stripes Shawl
- Hashtag Slouchy
- Dragon Wing Cowl
- A Quick Guide To Snap Fasteners For Clothing Or Bags
- Robot Valentine Tags And Bag Toppers
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home