Learn how to crochet the cupcake stitch with this adorable pattern.
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This Cupcake Afghan is great for beginners. Use a simple stitch to create a delightful afghan that everyone will love. This free crochet afghan pattern features light, pastel colors, making it ideal for a baby shower or new mommy gift. When you learn how to crochet an afghan that you can make over and over again and you'll always have a go-to gift for special occasions.
This afghan is both soothing and warm, so it will help a baby quickly drift off to sleep. While little babies will love their blanket, new mommies may appreciate it even more.
This free crochet afghan pattern for babies looks especially lovely and comforting in pastel colors. Use the light greens and pretty pinks found in cupcake icing and delicate cakes to create a tranquil sleeping and snuggle situation for a baby in your life. The scalloped design and pretty little crochet stitches show you how to crochet a blanket that has a classic look.
Crochet HookG/6 or 4 mm hook, H/8 or 5 mm hook
Yarn Weight(4) Medium Weight/Worsted Weight and Aran (16-20 stitches to 4 inches)
Crochet GaugeWith H hook: 4 rows – 3” ; 5 dc, ch 1, 5 dc – 2 ¾”
Finished SizeAfghan Measures: 40” x 46”
- RED HEART SUPER SAVER 2 skeins 0668 Honeydew
- RED HEART CLASSIC 3 skeins 0111 Eggshell
- Crochet Hooks: 4.50mm (US G-6), 5.0mm (US H-8) or size needed for gauge
It's never been easier to create beautiful and artistic afghans. Check out our collection and discover just how many great patterns there are for beginning crocheters: 51 Free Crochet Afghan Patterns for Beginners
How to Crochet the Cupcake Afghan Pattern
Row 1 (RS): With honeydew and H hook ch 147, 5 dc in 6th ch from hook, *ch 1, skip 5 ch, 5 dc in next ch, repeat from * across to last 3 ch, skip 2 ch, dc in last ch, turn.
Row 2: Ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1), dc in first st, skip 2 dc, dc in next dc, *(dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch 1 sp, skip 2 dc, dc in next dc, repeat from * across to last 3 sts, skip 2 dc, (dc, ch 1, dc) in top of turning ch, turn.
Row 3: Ch 3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in next ch 1 sp, ch 1, (5 dc, ch 1) in each ch 3 loop across, 2 dc in ch 1 sp, dc in top of turning ch, turn.
Row 4: Ch 3 (counts as dc), *(dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch 1 sp, skip 2 dc, dc in next dc, repeat from * across ending dc in top of turning ch, turn.
Row 5: Ch 3 (counts as dc), (5 dc, ch 1) in each ch 3 loop across, 5 dc in last ch 3 loop, dc in top of turning ch,
Row 6: Repeat Row 2, fasten off and turn.
Row 7: Join eggshell in first st and repeat Row 3.
Repeat Rows 2 -5 as follows: 6 rows honeydew, 4 rows eggshell (6 times), ending 6 rows honeydew for a total of 66 rows
With eggshell and G hook work along top edge on right side 5 dc in first dc, *ch 1, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc, ch 1, 5 dc in ch 3, space, repeat from * across ending 5 dc in last dc.
Work along side edge *ch 1, sc in first side dc, ch 1, 5 dc in next dc, repeat from * across ending 5 dc in first bottom ch st.
Work along bottom edge *ch 1, sc in ch below 5 dc, ch 1, 5 dc in ch 5 space, repeat from * across ending 5 dc in last ch st.
Work along side edge *ch 1, sc in first side dc, ch 1, 5 dc in next dc, repeat from * across, join to beg sc and fasten off.
How Did the Afghan Blanket Get Its Name?
One of the most popular crochet patterns is the Afghan. They're cozy and vibrantly colored creations. But have you ever taken a moment to wonder why crocheted blankets are called Afghans?
The term "Afghan" was originally used to refer to the people of eastern and southern Afghanistan. That country is well-known for its colorful textiles such as clothing and carpets. Eventually in America, "Afghan" became synonymous with garments and other fabrics made from different colors of yarn. Afghan blankets are typically smaller in size — they wouldn't cover a bed, for instance — than other blankets. You can most often find them used as decorations on the backs of couches or chairs. "Granny square" is another term that is used to describe Afghans. This probably is due to the fact that crocheters (often grandmothers) would use scraps of different colored yarn to make squares. These squares would then be sewn into blankets that in some ways looked similar to the traditional fabrics of Afghanistan.
If you're enjoying what you're reading... please let us know by subscribing to the Everyday Crochet Newsletter from FaveCrafts.
Foolproof Afghan Pattern
We love this crochet stitch! What other crochet stitches do you love?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
Cupcake liner crafts can be some of the prettiest projects out there, and this wreath is no exception. Create a stunning cupcake liner… Continue reading: "Faux Flower Cupcake Liner Wreath"
- The Coziest Crocheted Baby Blanket Ever
- 51 Free Crochet Afghan Patterns for Beginners
- Foolproof Afghan Pattern
- 41 Crochet Baby Blanket Patterns
- Butterfly Wings Free Crochet Afghan Pattern
- Baby's First Crochet Blanket Pattern
- Crochet Yellow Baby Blanket
- Easy Ombre Baby Blanket
- Pink Daisy Crocheted Baby Blanket
- Beautiful Crochet Baby Blanket
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Glow In The Dark Plastic Water Bottle Bowling
- Blueberry Lemon Easy Sugar Scrub Recipe
- Beginner Crafts: 12 Simple Craft Ideas for Adults
- 11 Radiant Rainbow Crafts and Rainbow Art
- Unicorn Snot Glitter Gel
- Upsp Postage Stamp Earrings
- Diy Shirt: 5 Minute Sewing Tutorial
- How To Hang Any Mug Rug - After You've Made It!
- Hanging Christmas Tree With Ornaments For Kids
- Fairy Crown With Template
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home